TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How to Finish this off ➡ Beginner

Question How to Finish this off ➡ Beginner

Good Morning,

So here I am in Ontario Canada, with snow in my yard,
    Still trying to finish the body work on my quarter panels:

f7d2312f92588fd96cf9f55d802bcec3.0.jpgIMG_20191109_185511.jpg

What you are looking at is new doglegs welded in, and fibreglass and bondo applied on top of Fibreglass.

Yes I grinded out all the rust.

Since this is the first time I'm doing this please advise.

So for Left quarter panel (LQP): hand or body sand with 80?

Thanks,

AMS.

Question LEFT QUARTER PANEL

IMG_20191111_151034.jpg

This is the left quarter panel.

I would use some 40 grit paper on a flexible block until I got the shape right, it could take a couple of filler applications, then apply one more light coat of filler to fill the 40 grit scratches then switch to 180 or 220 to finish the filler work then apply a 2K filler primer, guide coat and block sand with 400 or 600 wet paper before painting.

get big ass grinder, 40 grit, knock it down to desirable shape, apply filler more shapely, then proceed to 80 grit, 120 and so on...

Thanks for the reply, but how do I make the Left dogleg perfectly flat and lined up properly?

2. How do I put in body lines on a wheel arch ?

This is what it's supposed to look like IMG_20191109_234314.jpg

You've already got it started, now just shape the filler until you get the shape and body lines you want. Using a "guide coat" helps get the shape right.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You've already got it started, now just shape the filler until you get the shape and body lines you want. Using a "guide coat" helps get the shape right.

Ok but how do I ensure that the body lines are the correct measurements?

Look at the pic again (RS Quarter Panel).

Can you be more precise? In what manner should I be sanding?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post

Thanks
    You apply filler and block sand then apply more filler and block sand again and keep repeating this until your guide coat shows you the lines that tell you you've got it right. Get the proper blocks, the proper sandpaper, guide coat and filler that's not hard to sand and work it until it's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Mazda story View Post

Thanks
    You should read some of the material in the classroom section. Brian Martin posted some material called basics of working with filler or something like that. Very good info for you.
    Otherwise, since you don't seem to have much experience with bodywork here's a couple of handy tips.
    First, filler is porous and water will seep through it so it must be kept dry until you cover it with epoxy or primer.
    Secondly, repairs like that aren't really formed to some spec or measurement, it's usually done to what's good by eye. An experienced bodyman can just look at something and see where the flaws are, and what to do to correct them. So don't over think it too much when shaping the filler, use sanding blocks and guide goat to help you refine the shape.
    b marler

Another thing I see is a common thing unexperienced people do is try to keep the repair area very small. This makes it harder to do a good job of making an invisible repair. All the paint near the area should be sanded to metal down so the filler only contacts metal, not paint. And the repair is feathered or blended into the surrounding metal. Its expected to see the sanded area extend a couple of inches or more past the filler area so everything can be flattened out nicely.
    b marler

Get the body leveled first then add the curved line with two pieces of tape one above the other and have bodyfiller added between the two tapes wait till the bodyfiller sets up but still flexible then take off the tape above and below slowly and what you will have a line created by the tape that you can shape into the original spot where the line were originally you might have to add more after you sand some if you do stick with using the tape again till you get to your satisfaction.