TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Quality of Dent Repair?

Default Quality of Dent Repair?

Hello, everyone. Recently neighbor's fence post fell on my brand new car and left a nasty crease (the picture before repair is attached). The paint has focally cracked, so PDR was not an option. I got the car fixed at an insurance-recommended body shop. Overall, you can't see the damage when you are close and looking at the damage site though the feature line looks slightly soft/irregular when you look from the back of the vehicle and compare it with the undamaged side. Also, I still can faintly see the crease where the damage was when I am 10 or so feet away from the car looking from a particular angle. It is so subtle that I can't capture it on camera.

I see people on forums say quite often that the car was fixed like new after accident or dent repair, but my car doesn't look like new since I can clearly see where the damage was and minimal residual crease if I use the right distance/angle. Is my repair suboptimal or most people don't pay attention to details? Should have I gone with panel replacement rather than dent repair since it is a brand new car?

Thanks for your input!Dent.jpg

If you can tell it's been fixed, it's not fixed.
    Most customers just accept it and the shops know it so they
    take a chance saying it's done when they know it really isn't
    hoping the customer won't even notice, most times they don't.
    You should have demanded it to be fixed right when you picked it up.
    Any reputable shop would fix it once you notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    Thank you for your response.

Well, I didn't see it when I picked it up. It requires certain lighting conditions and angle. In addition, they scratched the chrome bezel of the quarter glass, roof where they removed the rail, chrome weather-strip, and plastic rear door trim (sanding marks). Initially, they guy who did my estimate tried to attribute all the additional damage to the normal wear and tear, which was ridiculous since the car had less than 200 miles and in pristine condition (I use only touchless carwash or detail it myself). It took one more trip to fix all that additional damage. While fixing the scratches, they have also scratched/scuffed driver's side door sill paint. So, I am definitely not taking my car back to them.

I think I will meet with my adjuster and demand to fix it properly at a small reputable body shop with outstanding reviews. Do you think that dent could have been fixed right without panel replacement?

Any reputable shop wouldn't release the car to the customer if the repair is visible.

Contact the repair shop first and if you're not satisfied then contact your insurance company and tell them you are dissatisfied with the repair.

On the other hand I have seen customers obsess over a minor repair while sitting on a chair next to their vehicle and stare at the car from every possible angle LOOKING for something to bitch about. I can go to any new car dealership and pick apart their brand new cars that 99.999% of the customers say it looks "beautiful". It's all in the eye of the beholder.

If you're not happy with the repair you need to talk to the shop or the insurance company that recommended them. A new car should be fixed perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Any reputable shop wouldn't release the car to the customer if the repair is visible.

Contact the repair shop first and if you're not satisfied then contact your insurance company and tell them you are dissatisfied with the repair.

On the other hand I have seen customers obsess over a minor repair while sitting on a chair next to their vehicle and stare at the car from every possible angle LOOKING for something to bitch about. I can go to any new car dealership and pick apart their brand new cars that 99.999% of the customers say it looks "beautiful". It's all in the eye of the beholder.
    I can clearly see the faint crease (the upper half of it) pretty easily if I pick the right spot (takes me less than 10 second to find it). I would be fine with the softness of the feature line since I understand that it is hard to fix to like-new condition.

I can't take my car to that body shop. They will scratch it again. The last time when they scuffed the door sill, I covered nearly the whole car trim with masking tape around the area where the worked, and they still managed to scuff/scratch the door sill. And they scratched it pretty badly (three deeper scratched to the paint and clear coat scuffing).

I will take my car to a small body shop with stellar reviews and ask their opinion to make sure I am not one of the crazy customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you're not happy with the repair you need to talk to the shop or the insurance company that recommended them. A new car should be fixed perfectly.
    Thank you. I thought so too.

Default Update.

I would like to thank everyone for advice and provide an update. I took my car to another body shop with excellent online reviews, and the advisor looked at my vehicle and did not have any difficulty seeing what I saw, so I am not a crazy customer. He said they can fix it without panel replacement.

Default Nice!

Thanks, a new quote for me to remember and use. I love it:

"If you can tell it's been fixed, it's not fixed."

And, you are absolutely correct. Many times a vehicle is not kept looking its best to begin with. Then to get smashed on top of it. Then the repair shop presents the vehicle looking good with new paint (where needed) and a quickie detail in and out.

The customer is excited to have the damage finally over with and is taken back by how nice the overall car looks (clean) their site of close detail to the repair is hampered. Good for our guy here to look carefully.

Henry

You're absolutely right.
    It amazes me how many cars I see that shouldn't have been accepted by
    the customer. And a lot of these were done by good shops, known for good work.
    But like I said, when they get one done that's not so great, a lot of customers don't
    even notice it. So of course they see if the customer will accept it so they won't
    have to redo it. People need to take the time to really look it over before accepting it.
    I've had customers tell me it can't be fixed and not be able to tell it.
    So they accept it.
    When I give them one that's dead straight with no waves or imperfections
    they are amazed. Kind of sad people expect so little sometimes.

You're absolutely right.
    It amazes me how many cars I see that shouldn't have been accepted by
    the customer. And a lot of these were done by good shops, known for good work.
    But like I said, when they get one done that's not so great, a lot of customers don't
    even notice it. So of course they see if the customer will accept it so they won't
    have to redo it. People need to take the time to really look it over before accepting it.
    I've had customers tell me it can't be fixed and not be able to tell it.
    So they accept it.
    When I give them one that's dead straight with no waves or imperfections
    they are amazed. Kind of sad people expect so little sometimes.
    Well, you must understand that most people deal with a body shop once every ten years or so and have no knowledge regarding its capabilities. I knew that PDR guys can do pretty good job because there are plenty online videos of them doing it. However, there are not so many videos of conventional dent repair online.