TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Clear coat and glaze problem

Default Clear coat and glaze problem

Hello folks,

First time poster here. I've been lurking in this amazing forum for a while as I've been completing my first paint job.

I used Nason ful base IR quality as my base coat and Smart Euro 2.1 clear coat 4321 as my clear coat. I finished the painting back in April. I had several curtains and runs in the clear. I finally decided to tackle them last weekend.

I used this method here: https://youtu.be/mn6nPky0HGs.

For the glaze I used Bondo Professional Spot Glaze. I sanded out all my runs and it seemed to work quite well. I glazed, sanded and buffed as per the video. I used Perfect it and compound number seven rubbing compounds. However I've noticed a week later that three spots have now revealed discoloration on the clear coat that directly related to where the glaze was applied. Here is an example photo: IMG_20190915_094247439.jpg. You can see the tape lines where I tried to limit the application of glaze to the panel. What happened to cause this?

I attempted to sand one with 1500grit and ended up burning through which was my greatest fear realized! I've already fixed that spot and blending was a nightmare and I'm not to happy about the result. I feel like I ruined my whole paint job!

Anyways, I don't want to burn through and I don't want these glaze discoloration spots. Is there anything I can do?

I'm not familiar with your paint products but sometimes a low cost clear can be discolored by the application of filler to eliminate runs.

I've used that method to remove runs but I normally don't do it that way. I use Run Blockers with 1500 wet then 2500 wet then polish and it normally works fine. If I see a run starting I finish that coat and stop and allow the paint to dry to the touch then apply more clear on the run area so that I have some extra clear to sand on. This helps eliminate sand through problems.

If the runs are bad I normally begin the leveling by using a Nib File (very gently) to begin the leveling while the paint is still a little soft then after the paint hardens switch over to the Run Blockers.

I'm assuming the only way to fix the discolored clear coat is to sand it off and repaint? I'm definitely not going to use the glaze method in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by cpfarley View Post
    I'm assuming the only way to fix the discolored clear coat is to sand it off and repaint? I'm definitely not going to use the glaze method in the future!
    I'm afraid that's right, the only way to fix it is to prep and repaint. I probably wouldn't sand the clear off but just scuff with some 400 or 600 wet then re-apply your color and clear. Be sure to allow your first coat of color and your first coat of clear to dry a little before applying your second and third coats and it will help stop runs.