TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Is it okay to use reduced epoxy primer as sealer on bare metal before base coat?

Default Is it okay to use reduced epoxy primer as sealer on bare metal before base coat?

As the title suggests,

I was wondering if it's okay to use reduced epoxy primer as sealer on bare metal before painting the base and clear. The pictures (in the link below), I block sanded my primer with a 320 (so far, i plan on going to 600 or 800) and, in some parts, the metal is showing. It's a small spot. Instead of having to put another layer of epoxy and then seal, is it okay if I just reduce the epoxy and spray that?

The paint I'm using: Epoxy Primer/Surfacer & its data sheet

The image is too big to post on here but IMGUR will scale it to your screensize. The pictures are titled "Block sanded to metal 1" & "Block sanded to metal 2". Ignore the other pictures, they are for questions i'll ask in another thread.

Image of rough texture

Also, this is a really silly question that I don't think needs to be in another thread because I doubt anybody would search for it. In the last picture titled "Uneven pattern. Don't care that much about this since it doesn't show. How to sand to 800?", how would you sand that area? I imagine using a block is over kill. Especially considering it's covered by the bumper anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayaarito View Post
    As the title suggests,

I was wondering if it's okay to use reduced epoxy primer as sealer on bare metal before painting the base and clear. The pictures (in the link below), I block sanded my primer with a 320 (so far, i plan on going to 600 or 800) and, in some parts, the metal is showing. It's a small spot. Instead of having to put another layer of epoxy and then seal, is it okay if I just reduce the epoxy and spray that?

The paint I'm using: Epoxy Primer/Surfacer & its data sheet

The image is too big to post on here but IMGUR will scale it to your screensize. The pictures are titled "Block sanded to metal 1" & "Block sanded to metal 2". Ignore the other pictures, they are for questions i'll ask in another thread.

Image of rough texture

Also, this is a really silly question that I don't think needs to be in another thread because I doubt anybody would search for it. In the last picture titled "Uneven pattern. Don't care that much about this since it doesn't show. How to sand to 800?", how would you sand that area? I imagine using a block is over kill. Especially considering it's covered by the bumper anyway.
    You want to block sand that rough texture until smooth and, if necessary, apply more filler primer and block it again. I've never used that brand of epoxy primer but it will probably be OK to spray over small bare metal spots before painting.

The area that's going to be covered by the bumper you can scuff with a gray scuff pad. No sense making it too smooth if it's not visible.