TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry time between rattle can basecoat and Spray Max 2K clear

you have a lot of variables going on there. if it were me... i'd sand it all off and use epoxy primer (or direct to metal urethane primer) again before the base/clear. at the very least i'd try to stabilize the substrate with an epoxy sealer before proceeding.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    you have a lot of variables going on there. if it were me... i'd sand it all off and use epoxy primer (or direct to metal urethane primer) again before the base/clear. at the very least i'd try to stabilize the substrate with an epoxy sealer before proceeding.
    The more I research, the more I want to do just that, or at least a version of it. I think what I'm going to try and do is sand down to the original epoxy primer (which is over bare metal) and factory paint. I will use aerosol two part epoxy filler primer to fix the surface defects I create, reprime with aerosol two part epoxy primer, then 1k aerosol urethane base coat and 2k urethane clear coat.

To further complicate things, which is probably the reason I had the problem in the first place is I realized I fixed a spot I went through the epoxy to bare metal. At that time I didn't have any epoxy primer left, so I just grabbed some Rustoleum, which I now realize is oil alkyd and is the devil under all this stuff. So I'll be removing that as well. Ugh.