TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: New project

Default New project

Pulling new project into shop today, yep it's a rust bucket, exactly what I love. This is an all original true barn find I picked up a few years back. I'll be doing a 2" chop, extending front end out 8" from windshield to doghouse to give it that long sleek look and installing an LS engine. Frame will be completely boxed as well as an MII front and an S-10 4x rear. Will need a load of sheet metal work so I am in my element.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Another...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Pulling new project into shop today, yep it's a rust bucket, exactly what I love. This is an all original true barn find I picked up a few years back. I'll be doing a 2" chop, extending front end out 8" from windshield to doghouse to give it that long sleek look and installing an LS engine. Frame will be completely boxed as well as an MII front and an S-10 4x rear. Will need a load of sheet metal work so I am in my element.
    And another one for you to share with us. I like your parking brake!

Speaking of share; Hope we might hear from bam55 this weekend. He's had a lot of time and has to have something to show us. Both he and "kevininOHIO" are enjoyable to watch. I couldn't carry their lunch and first to admit it!

Henry

Default HAH

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    And another one for you to share with us. I like your parking brake!

Speaking of share; Hope we might hear from bam55 this weekend. He's had a lot of time and has to have something to show us. Both he and "kevininOHIO" are enjoyable to watch. I couldn't carry their lunch and first to admit it!

Henry
    Henry,

You would catch that "parking brake" ha! Everything on this build is frozen including the engine (if engine was salvageable I would have done a complete factory build). I had to bounce the front end for 20 minutes to get the front shocks to let loose, it is the Master model and has the Dubonnet shocks/suspension and those are huge (could really feel it when they let go). I'm in love with the 30's model turret top cars, for the time period those engineers really had their act together. Here is an interesting video that you might like,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bT6txm4RpA&t=700s
    It was a toss up between the 36' chevy and a 66' goat I have to restore. 36' won out as I have a ton of parts on hand for this build. Here are a few pics of the 66' GTO that will be restored after the 36' chevy. 389 Engine has been rebuilt, frame is very straight and restored back to factory condition. Just needs paint and body, upholstery and wiring and it's ready to roll.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Lucky you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Henry,

You would catch that "parking brake" ha! Everything on this build is frozen including the engine (if engine was salvageable I would have done a complete factory build). I had to bounce the front end for 20 minutes to get the front shocks to let loose, it is the Master model and has the Dubonnet shocks/suspension and those are huge (could really feel it when they let go). I'm in love with the 30's model turret top cars, for the time period those engineers really had their act together. Here is an interesting video that you might like,
    It was a toss up between the 36' chevy and a 66' goat I have to restore. 36' won out as I have a ton of parts on hand for this build. Here are a few pics of the 66' GTO that will be restored after the 36' chevy. 389 Engine has been rebuilt, frame is very straight and restored back to factory condition. Just needs paint and body, upholstery and wiring and it's ready to roll.
    You have your hands full. The goat gets 2 parking brakes case the 'tiger' wakes up! I will watch the video later on tonight.

Henry

If that is a 66 GTO, then it's got a 67 grill on it. A rear view would clarify, as the 66 has "bow tie" looking chrome trim on back, while 67 has straight square trim. For my taste I think it's the 67 is the better looking of the 2 years.

Default How it was!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    You have your hands full. The goat gets 2 parking brakes case the 'tiger' wakes up! I will watch the video later on tonight.

Henry
    Great video you posted! The process gets more interesting as parts begin to emerge and take shape. I tried to put myself among the many workers and feel all that heat and nasty smells in the air. Was nice to see it all come together as it did. BELOW is your video link again which I think is a good watch!

Interesting too is the page this video is on shows many other similar automotive assembly. I was in 'awe' on tours of the Framingham, MA (GM Assembly Plant) in the 80's. Was told 60 cars (per hour) rolled off the assembly line per day dropped to only 40 when tours were to take place. To me, that was the ultimate 'vacation day' from work. I need to go again. Thanks.

Henry