TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: areosol primer on bare metal

Default areosol primer on bare metal

I am doing a spot repair on a base clear fender. I intend to paint the entire fender. I exposed bare metal out side of the polyester filler skim coat I put on and will use evercoat polyester spray G2 over the entire repair area for leveling. The evercoat data sheet says it can't go over bare metal. Can I use a spray can etching or epoxy primer over the small bare metal spots? Is it okay if it overlaps the polyester putty and clear coat? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blown496 View Post
    I am doing a spot repair on a base clear fender. I intend to paint the entire fender. I exposed bare metal out side of the polyester filler skim coat I put on and will use evercoat polyester spray G2 over the entire repair area for leveling. The evercoat data sheet says it can't go over bare metal. Can I use a spray can etching or epoxy primer over the small bare metal spots? Is it okay if it overlaps the polyester putty and clear coat? Thanks
    Yes, that should work as long as the aerosol says it can go on bare metal.

Thanks. I will make sure itís the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by blown496 View Post
    Thanks. I will make sure itís the good stuff.
    Here's the best one I know of....

Just make sure and read your TDS to make sure your G2 can go over etch primer. I don't remember off hand if it is a problem or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    Just make sure and read your TDS to make sure your G2 can go over etch primer. I don't remember off hand if it is a problem or not.
    The data sheet says self-etch or epoxy primer

Default G2 Feather Fill

I spray Evercoat G2 feather fill weekly, really a good product. If you use an etching primer remember it extends the drying time out to about 6 hours before you can sand, I typically wait 24 hours before sanding feather fill when applied over an etching primer and 3 hours when applied over epoxy primer (this is the reason I try not to use etching primers, so many variables but at times they are called for). I spray the G2 with a 2.2 tip without being reduced or a 1.8 tip with 10% acetone RTS. I don't use rattle can primers even for a small spot repair, I use a touch up gun with PPG DP50LF but whatever you use I would do as Len stated and make sure it is a DTM product, I would absolutely go with a product he recommends when using a rattle can, too many products have cross link problems.