TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kemkhrome paint, chrome paint.

Default Kemkhrome paint, chrome paint.

Anyone else try this. I sprayed like 5 coats on a test panel then taped It to a floor mat and then decided to read the instructions.. lol anyways i put 3 coats the way it said and floor mat looks a little shinier then test panel keep in mind testpanel had black base and 1hr old clear figured whatever just try it out.. says wait 12hrs then while and clear so curious to see how it turns out.

Kemkhrome https://imgur.com/a/XjnLhY0

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Anyone else try this. I sprayed like 5 coats on a test panel then taped It to a floor mat and then decided to read the instructions.. lol anyways i put 3 coats the way it said and floor mat looks a little shinier then test panel keep in mind testpanel had black base and 1hr old clear figured whatever just try it out.. says wait 12hrs then while and clear so curious to see how it turns out.

Kemkhrome https://imgur.com/a/XjnLhY0
    What is it a spray-on chrome? It looks like you should be able to sand and polish to level it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    What is it a spray-on chrome? It looks like you should be able to sand and polish to level it out.
    Comes ready mixed from coating store just spray it on wait 12hrs quick buff with micro towel and clear.. looks pretty decent gonna try a real item in a day or two see how these look after clear..

Not very expensive at all and pretty cool to spray candy over..

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Comes ready mixed from coating store just spray it on wait 12hrs quick buff with micro towel and clear.. looks pretty decent gonna try a real item in a day or two see how these look after clear..

Not very expensive at all and pretty cool to spray candy over..
    Post some pictures after you do it.

PainterDave Guest

You got a piece of glass ? Or something else clear ? Try to spray the back and turn it over. Look and see if itís shiny as a mirror. House Of Kolor RTS chrome works like. Although it is made for first surface like youíre doing

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    You got a piece of glass ? Or something else clear ? Try to spray the back and turn it over. Look and see if itís shiny as a mirror. House Of Kolor RTS chrome works like. Although it is made for first surface like youíre doing
    I'll have to try that lol this stuff is cheap but seems to work decent so far considering I did everything wrong in using it lol20190802_014108.jpg

Default Kemkhrome

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Their P sheet states;

"KemKhrome must be applied over high gloss solvent resistant finishes to achieve the reflective effect. Black basecoat followed by a high quality 2K clear is recommended. The clear must be polished to remove any surface imperfections prior to application of KemKhrome."

After reading their full P sheet I assume they want this sprayed over a black bc/cc that has been sanded smooth with no orange peel, if you want to achieve a shiny reflective surface. After applying the KemKhrome, you then apply a 2k cc to get that chrome like look/finish.

P sheet goes on to state;

"Application
    Apply 2-3 light to medium coats using 50% overlap at a gun distance of 12-14 inches. Guns should be equipped with 0.9-1.4 mm tips and set for 30-40 PSI for conventional guns or 8-10 PSI at the cap for HVLP. Allow to flash 5-10 minutes between coats.
    Allow to dry at least 12 hours then wipe gently with a soft lint free or micro fiber cloth to remove overspray and achieve best reflective effect.
    When applying clear we recommend slight over-reduction of the clear and applying the 1st coat very lightly to minimize re-dissolving and lifting the chrome layer. Allow fist coat to flash at least 15 minutes then apply medium wet coats of clear for flow. Fast drying clears work better to lock down the reflective flakes."

So I'm assuming they want you to clear over their product. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. As you know there have been countless companies that try to replicate a chrome like finish using a chemical spray, just don't think they are there yet. Hopefully somebody, someday, will make this happen as you don't even want to see my chroming bill from last year, wow. I have tried the Caswell triple chroming kit, nickel, copper and chromemate, afterwards I decided to leave it to the professionals. I was able to produce a pretty decent finish with the Caswell system but the variables involved in chroming are staggering if your trying to get that show quality finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Their P sheet states;

"KemKhrome must be applied over high gloss solvent resistant finishes to achieve the reflective effect. Black basecoat followed by a high quality 2K clear is recommended. The clear must be polished to remove any surface imperfections prior to application of KemKhrome."

After reading their full P sheet I assume they want this sprayed over a black bc/cc that has been sanded smooth with no orange peel, if you want to achieve a shiny reflective surface. After applying the KemKhrome, you then apply a 2k cc to get that chrome like look/finish.

P sheet goes on to state;

"Application
    Apply 2-3 light to medium coats using 50% overlap at a gun distance of 12-14 inches. Guns should be equipped with 0.9-1.4 mm tips and set for 30-40 PSI for conventional guns or 8-10 PSI at the cap for HVLP. Allow to flash 5-10 minutes between coats.
    Allow to dry at least 12 hours then wipe gently with a soft lint free or micro fiber cloth to remove overspray and achieve best reflective effect.
    When applying clear we recommend slight over-reduction of the clear and applying the 1st coat very lightly to minimize re-dissolving and lifting the chrome layer. Allow fist coat to flash at least 15 minutes then apply medium wet coats of clear for flow. Fast drying clears work better to lock down the reflective flakes."

So I'm assuming they want you to clear over their product. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. As you know there have been countless companies that try to replicate a chrome like finish using a chemical spray, just don't think they are there yet. Hopefully somebody, someday, will make this happen as you don't even want to see my chroming bill from last year, wow. I have tried the Caswell triple chroming kit, nickel, copper and chromemate, afterwards I decided to leave it to the professionals. I was able to produce a pretty decent finish with the Caswell system but the variables involved in chroming are staggering if your trying to get that show quality finish.
    I read instructions last lol but that about sums it up we had a spectra chrome style system awhile back it actually worked pretty good.. but people didnt really want to pay for it in house cost was 5bucks a rim.

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...LASTIC&=Chrome

PainterDave Guest

Process lol looks pretty sharp.. and what candy did you use.

PainterDave Guest

That time I use Cosmichrome dye

Default Wow Dave

Wow Dave that is impressive, I love it. Does the Cosmichrome dye work off the same principle as the Kemkhrome in that the metallic is ultra-thin lamellar flakes and lays down flat, simulating a chrome finish? Can you do custom mix colors (not like the Kemkhrome that only has 4 to choose from)? I would love to give this a shot on several small project pieces I have in mind for my 36' coupe. Reminds me of translucent powder coating. Unbelievable finish Dave, thank you for sharing!

PainterDave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Wow Dave that is impressive, I love it. Does the Cosmichrome dye work off the same principle as the Kemkhrome in that the metallic is ultra-thin lamellar flakes and lays down flat, simulating a chrome finish? Can you do custom mix colors (not like the Kemkhrome that only has 4 to choose from)? I would love to give this a shot on several small project pieces I have in mind for my 36' coupe. Reminds me of translucent powder coating. Unbelievable finish Dave, thank you for sharing!
    dye is same as HoK or any other really, they are a bit more concentrated though. so just toss in some DBC or clear like normal. yeah you are correct, millions of micro flakes in the silver nitrate with them sticking here and there till substrate is covered then rinsed. dry for a hour and clear.

PainterDave Guest

IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_2162.jpg
    14.jpg

here is a few more, can even etch the primer with designs, seen in blue.

Cosmichrome does have small DIY kits too

Default All's good guys...

See this paint gun discussion can go off in all sorts of directions because the variables are endless. Things change, often people do not. Products change so others can make more money or local (anywhere) ordinances dictate change. Many of us here come from a time when the color was black and always lacquer. Even the lacquer changed through the years.

Vinegar was used to 'pickle' a brand new bare metal panel and the part set out in the rain to GET surface rust flash. Then brought in, worked on, painted and assembled. Now we have an entire new line of products to accomplish this objective.

Couple things did not change: Bare metal will rust, rust will turn to rot.

Coatings need to be applied and in this trade via spray gun. That gun may become different (or change) as well as different measurements of how it (they) might perform.

BOTTOM LINE: Do what works best for you to continue to achieve YOUR objective regardless what or how it might be.

Henry