TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Smart brand seam sealer?

Default Smart brand seam sealer?

My local Finishmaster paint store says their store brand Smart SMT274 seam sealer is as good as the Fusor 803/804, for half the price. Can someone with some experience offer a review? I'm trying to duplicate the factory seam sealer in my '72 Demon. Thanks

Default Well?

Quote Originally Posted by MT99 View Post
    My local Finishmaster paint store says their store brand Smart SMT274 seam sealer is as good as the Fusor 803/804, for half the price. Can someone with some experience offer a review? I'm trying to duplicate the factory seam sealer in my '72 Demon. Thanks
    Consider please that the larger companies offer better products and the higher price is very often due to the research R&D that goes into a product.

Now, for seam sealer, that's one critical item NOT to try and save a penny on. I've always used the best I can get without a second thought as I depend on this important product to work well where I can't see it to protect the area(s) I just repaired and needed it for.

I have been subject to needing seam sealer a couple times and what I wanted was sold out so I was forced to use the half price spread only to find I was not happy how it cured. The thing I trust using FUSOR or a 3M is the adhesion & flexible rubber I end up with.

I do buy and use aftermarket products but those not as critical as the ones protecting areas that surely can come back and bite me.

Henry

i went to their website and had a look. i read every sheet they had linked but couldn't find out what exactly it is besides some kind of polymer. really? polymer?
    i realize that they want to maintain secrecy as to the exact formulation but they should give a little more info than they are letting loose.
    i wouldn't use it unless they told me what it is so i could make an informed decision.
    b marler

Default TRUST!

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i went to their website and had a look. i read every sheet they had linked but couldn't find out what exactly it is besides some kind of polymer. really? polymer?
    i realize that they want to maintain secrecy as to the exact formulation but they should give a little more info than they are letting loose.
    i wouldn't use it unless they told me what it is so i could make an informed decision.
    I will always choose the best in seam sealer because I've used some of the aftermarket with outlandish claims. I've used TransStar and "5 STAR" and told my supplier they all sucked. He ordered an assortment of 6 other aftermarket sealers. He gave me and a few of his big shops a tube of each for free for feedback. Walk in his shop today and he has FUSOR and only ONE brand of aftermarket seam sealer.

I thought the TransStar would be good but I could rub my thumb on it and it would move away from the metal after 4 - 5 days sitting there. They actually screwed themselves as I wrote ANY TransStar product off my list for anything.

I mean, how much work do we have to do to join a couple pieces of metal together (new & clean) or repaired & welded rust fixes? Now we have a brand new seam. We have to TRUST what we use to seal that area after what we went thru to get there.

Henry