TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best clear gun under $300?

i would say for under or $300, the best buy is Iwata Bellaira with 1.4 tip for clear coating, you can order it from Japan, i believe...

other than that, people are selling their Teknas and Prolites for that amount , usually with te20 set up, and then you can always get one of the aircaps for clearcoat if not happy with that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Does HF sell parts for their guns?
    Those two Spectrum spray guns I mentioned in my previous post are their most "expensive" guns from Harbor Freight and parts are NOT available for them, at least through Harbor Freight. Never occurred to me to see if parts are available though other sources. As far as the rest of their paint gun line up parts availability, I don't know. I choose not buy an of their really cheap spray guns. I take that back, I did buy a Devilbiss JGA copy from HF just to see how it compared to a real JGA to use it as a primer gun and I had very early failure of it with threading of he air cap. Threw the gun out.

To be honest the machining and attention to fine detail on the Black Widow Spectrum I bought from HF was really good, but the lack of replacement wear parts was a deal breaker for me.

Default Depends on whether you buy in America or Europe

There are very limited quality clear guns for under $300 available in America due to EPA certification requirements. The best I can think of is the new orange Sagola 3300 which got a very good review on YouTube from a dude in England named Tony's Refinishing. His reviews are biased as he's sponsored by PMP Supplies and clearly blows them in order to get free stuff (who can blame him) but he's a pretty good reviewer. That stated I do prefer the Gunman.

In Europe there are a LOT of good under $300 clear guns all of which are RP (the reason they can't be sold in America) Some of these are the DeVilbiss GPi, the DeVilbiss FLG5 the ANI F160 and perhaps the best of the bunch the Iwata W400 Bellaria which you can get from Japan on Amazon as has been previously mentioned. The W400 Bellaria does not used Iwata's split nozzle as does the W400LV but a conventional nozzle setup. Nonetheless, it sprays great.

To me the best clear gun available for any price (if you know one tiny trick) is the W400 1.3HD Supernova. This has become my clear gun of choice. The one little trick that's required, because Iwata does not put a stop on how wide you can set the fan pattern, is not to try to use the gun with the fan wide open. If you wind it all the way out you will get this enormous fan which will be split in the middle. Back out the fan from fully closed 2 to 2 1/2 turns and you're golden. I don't own a SATA 5500X but my friend that owns MAACO of Prescott does as he got it cheap from Sherwin-Williams. How did he get it cheap from Sherwin-Williams? He buys close to $25,000 worth of paint and supplies from them a month. It's amazing how far they will bend over backwards if you do that. From my brief spraying time with it the 5500X is basically a Supernova in SATA dress. The I pattern mimics the pattern Iwata has perfected for years and the fact that they got rid of the damn gaskets is a huge plus as compared to previous SATA's which had plastic parts that needed to be replaced from time to time. The DeVilbiss Pro-lite is excellent and at one time was a bargain. The TE20 aircap is the keeper of the three aircaps available. However DeVilbiss has become greedy and is charging Iwata prices for the Pro-lite. It too uses plastic gaskets and the Iwata doesn't so that marks it down versus the Iwata in my book. The Sagola 4600 is a good gun, that, I can't deny, but, Sagola the company has pissed me off so many times that I've personally written them off as their business practices just suck. I've written SATA off due to their insane pricing but at least DanAm does offer excellent customer service. Sagola, as they say in New York: forgetaboutit.
    Last edited by Dennis N. Schmidt; 09-07-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N. Schmidt View Post
    There are very limited quality clear guns for under $300 available in America due to EPA certification requirements. The best I can think of is the new orange Sagola 3300 which got a very good review on YouTube from a dude in England named Tony's Refinishing. His reviews are biased as he's sponsored by PMP Supplies and clearly blows them in order to get free stuff (who can blame him) but he's a pretty good reviewer. That stated I do prefer the Gunman.

In Europe there are a LOT of good under $300 clear guns all of which are RP (the reason they can't be sold in America) Some of these are the DeVilbiss GPi, the DeVilbiss FLG5 the ANI F160 and perhaps the best of the bunch the Iwata W400 Bellaria which you can get from Japan on Amazon as has been previously mentioned. The W400 Bellaria does not used Iwata's split nozzle as does the W400LV but a conventional nozzle setup. Nonetheless, it sprays great.

To me the best clear gun available for any price (if you know one tiny trick) is the W400 1.3HD Supernova. This has become my clear gun of choice. The one little trick that's required, because Iwata does not put a stop on how wide you can set the fan pattern, is not to try to use the gun with the fan wide open. If you wind it all the way out you will get this enormous fan which will be split in the middle. Back out the fan from fully closed 2 to 2 1/2 turns and you're golden. I don't own a SATA 5500X but my friend that owns MAACO of Prescott does as he got it cheap from Sherwin-Williams. How did he get it cheap from Sherwin-Williams? He buys close to $25,000 worth of paint and supplies from them a month. It's amazing how far they will bend over backwards if you do that. From my brief spraying time with it the 5500X is basically a Supernova in SATA dress. The I pattern mimics the pattern Iwata has perfected for years and the fact that they got rid of the damn gaskets is a huge plus as compared to previous SATA's which had plastic parts that needed to be replaced from time to time. The DeVilbiss Pro-lite is excellent and at one time was a bargain. The TE20 aircap is the keeper of the three aircaps available. However DeVilbiss has become greedy and is charging Iwata prices for the Pro-lite. It too uses plastic gaskets and the Iwata doesn't so that marks it down versus the Iwata in my book. The Sagola 4600 is a good gun, that, I can't deny, but, Sagola the company has pissed me off so many times that I've personally written them off as their business practices just suck. I've written SATA off due to their insane pricing but at least DanAm does offer excellent customer service. Sagola, as they say in New York: forgetaboutit.
    I personally think the best bang for ya buck is the ANI F160 spray gun it has an amazing spray pattern for a great price. I’ve also heard that the satajet Seals will fit in the harbour freight Black Widow and that the sharpe finex parts will fit into the spectrum not sure about that though. I have never got on with the prolite personally but have heard many people raving about the tekna clearcoat gun with TE25 air cap. Btw Phil I also have the Warwick 904HE with hvlp cap and lots of holes in air cap, is a great gun mine has 1.3 tip just don’t really use it these days have too many others to choose from.