TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Following manufacturers guidelines pop riveting a structural component!

Default Following manufacturers guidelines pop riveting a structural component!

I have told you guys about things like BMW wanting us to glue and rivet a quarter panel on without a single weld, pretty odd stuff. How about this Porsche cast aluminum strut tower being pop riveted and glued it! NO KIDDING!

Brian

IMGP0463.jpg
    Touched by an Angel.

are those special rivets and installation tool for that repair? it can't be hardware store stuff right?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    are those special rivets and installation tool for that repair? it can't be hardware store stuff right?
    Somehow I have to think that Porsche did the engineering and it is design built.

Todays adhesives are really that good.
    The rivets are probably just to hold it in place till it sets.

Default Riveting

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    I'm with bmarler on this. Are there specs for rivets and installation tool? Possibly a tool that rivets and measures the compression psi/newtons on the collapsed rivet? Dissimilar metals between rivet and aluminum plate sounds like a failure point over time as this is not static forces being applied right? However German engineering, especially Porsche, has always been top quality. I'm stumped. If you have and follow the tech sheet for installation I would go for it.

Default I wouldnít use pops myself, not hardware type

Quote Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
    I have told you guys about things like BMW wanting us to glue and rivet a quarter panel on without a single weld, pretty odd stuff. How about this Porsche cast aluminum strut tower being pop riveted and glued it! NO KIDDING! Brian

Hardware store rivets are great for stuff like floor pans, I used them forever . However, on something like that beast NO DAMNED WAY . Thatís STRUCTURAL and no place for cheap ones Get you the real deal , probably 1000💸euros each 🤦🏻*♂️ or do what airplane people do. Go to Aircraft Spruce & Specialty online or your favorite local airport . Then you can get some CHERRY MAX in just the length you need. They have sealed head versions too. Thereís a couple other rivet styles available also but if it ever went on an airplane they have it. Prices are good and in spite of what everyone says you can squeeze cherries nicely in a normal hand gun. They just squeeze super hard and kill your hands when they pop.

Quote Originally Posted by drizler View Post
    Hardware store rivets are great for stuff like floor pans, I used them forever . However, on something like that beast NO DAMNED WAY . Thatís STRUCTURAL and no place for cheap ones Get you the real deal , probably 1000💸euros each 🤦🏻*♂️ or do what airplane people do. Go to Aircraft Spruce & Specialty online or your favorite local airport . Then you can get some CHERRY MAX in just the length you need. They have sealed head versions too. Thereís a couple other rivet styles available also but if it ever went on an airplane they have it. Prices are good and in spite of what everyone says you can squeeze cherries nicely in a normal hand gun. They just squeeze super hard and kill your hands when they pop.
    All adhesive, cleaners, and rivets were purchased from Porsche. We follow the manufacturers guidelines to a tee when we do stuff like this.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

I'm sorry I didn't note that in the original post that all adhesives and rivets were from Porsche. We follow their guidelines doing it EXACTLY as the manufacturer says.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Default Thanks for that...

I'm sorry I didn't note that in the original post that all adhesives and rivets were from Porsche. We follow their guidelines doing it EXACTLY as the manufacturer says.

Brian
    Appreciate knowing what the world of new stuff is doing and thanks for bringing much of it to us.

Henry

Nice work sir !

Default Rivets and adhesive

Brian
    Still curious as to what Porsche supplied. Any pics or specs on their products that came with the kit? Was it rivets that could be used in a normal or heavy duty rivet gun (I have both and could see this working on other projects if Porsche is a fan)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Still curious as to what Porsche supplied. Any pics or specs on their products that came with the kit? Was it rivets that could be used in a normal or heavy duty rivet gun (I have both and could see this working on other projects if Porsche is a fan)?
    Hereís an example of the rivet gun:
    https://www.raeservice.com/product/xpress-800-full-set/

Quote Originally Posted by FatboyHarley View Post
    Hereís an example of the rivet gun:
    We have a rivet gun like that, I didn't do this repair, another tech did so I don't have the details but I will try to get them today.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

Default WOW...

Quote Originally Posted by FatboyHarley View Post
    Here’s an example of the rivet gun:
    Now that's a rivet gun. Impressive.

Also impressive are the many varieties of other tools we use but at levels not commonly available in our local autobody shop supply stores.

Very interesting link. Thanks.

Henry

With the increased use of aluminum this will become standard industry practice as the days of spot welding and plug welding are ending. Tesla's are put together with self piercing rivets, pop rivets and glue. In the future that's going to be the methods of choice.