TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Clear over artwork

Default Clear over artwork

Truck will be base cleared with ppg, got someone to do flames on it, they said they use oneshot enamel and wicked transparent acrylic auto paint for the art, the question is, whats best to put over the art? Straight to urethane clear or use an intercoat (clear basecoat), and then urethane clear?
    My concern is lifting of the oneshot or acrylic enamel.

Quote Originally Posted by skip99 View Post
    Truck will be base cleared with ppg, got someone to do flames on it, they said they use oneshot enamel and wicked transparent acrylic auto paint for the art, the question is, whats best to put over the art? Straight to urethane clear or use an intercoat (clear basecoat), and then urethane clear?
    My concern is lifting of the oneshot or acrylic enamel.
    I've never applied clear over OneShot so all I can say is to do a test before applying anything on top. It would pay to get a little one shot apply it to a small surface and allow it to dry well before spraying it with some clear to see how it reacts.

PainterDave Guest

one shot requires hardener or it will raise, and wrinkle. House of Kolor does not require hardener.

one shot is enamel, HoK is basecoat. when i have things striped i use HoK, once dry you can use mild wax and grease. i use UPOL FAST w&g 2012 i think is its part number.

when you clear art work best to put a tack coat on and let it flash, DO NOT put a full med wet coat as your first coat, this can move metallics, pinstriping, airbrushing,
    wait for that tack coat to flash
    then just clear as normal

apologize for the confusion buddy hope that helps clear things up
    Last edited by PainterDave; 07-16-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    if he knows what he is doing "the artist" he probably wont put hardener in the one shot,

when you clear art work best to put a tack coat on and let it flash, DO NOT put a full med wet coat as your first coat, this can move metallics, pinstriping, airbrushing,

then just clear as normal
    You said he wont put hardner in it? If he knows what hes doing? I would assume he would want hardner

PainterDave Guest

oppps sorry buddy let me edit that post, above.