TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Fans

Default Fans

I know a lot of people recommend explosion proof fans to vent their garage/booth. I recently saw a youtube video with a knowledgeable body guy who was actually running a torpedo heater while he was spraying a fender. I have seen many of his videos where he was exhausting paint fumes while he was painting with just a box fan in a window in his garage.
    Anyone know just how volatile these fumes really are? I tend to error on the safe side myself but I'm setting up a booth in my garage and was wondering if box fans were ok to use?

Quote Originally Posted by NK77 View Post
    I know a lot of people recommend explosion proof fans to vent their garage/booth. I recently saw a youtube video with a knowledgeable body guy who was actually running a torpedo heater while he was spraying a fender. I have seen many of his videos where he was exhausting paint fumes while he was painting with just a box fan in a window in his garage.
    Anyone know just how volatile these fumes really are? I tend to error on the safe side myself but I'm setting up a booth in my garage and was wondering if box fans were ok to use?
    It all depends on the density of the overspray and the percentage of solvent in the air. If you're only spraying a short time or using spraying equipment that doesn't produce much overspray then torpedo heaters my be ok but you should understand the risk and adjust your situation accordingly. The more buildup of dust and fumes the more dangerous the situation becomes.

Default No Box Fan

You said setting up a booth? If used for more then a small spot job one time maybe ok. But spraying bigger jobs then go with explosion rated exhaust fan.I run a torpedo heater out side of booth and let the fan pull the heat in. But NO box fan not safe!!! And yes I know people who paint in a open shop with a potbelly wood stove near by................

Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    You said setting up a booth? If used for more then a small spot job one time maybe ok. But spraying bigger jobs then go with explosion rated exhaust fan.I run a torpedo heater out side of booth and let the fan pull the heat in. But NO box fan not safe!!! And yes I know people who paint in a open shop with a potbelly wood stove near by................
    Yes some people are lucky, I'm not sure I'm one of them so I'll play it safe.Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It all depends on the density of the overspray and the percentage of solvent in the air. If you're only spraying a short time or using spraying equipment that doesn't produce much overspray then torpedo heaters my be ok but you should understand the risk and adjust your situation accordingly. The more buildup of dust and fumes the more dangerous the situation becomes.
    Yes, I guess you won't know until you hear the boom! Thanks Len