TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urethane wave??? Is there such a thing?

Default Urethane wave??? Is there such a thing?

Hey all, so I've been wet sanding the car. Started on a door incase I screwed up I could just shoot the door again instead of the whole body. Anyways I'd start with 800 to cut it flat and then move up in grits. 1000 3000 5000 trizact. The 800 is on a hard block. Buffed it and sighted down the door and man oh man is it wavy. Did some searching and some call it urethane wave. 1 med coat of clear and 2 wet coats, walking the whole car down so I know it's not from starting and stopping. So I resanded with 600 to cut it down again and this is what it looks like b4 I get it flat. Any ideas? I know the substrate is flat. I know it's the clear.
    Tha is in advance.

Dan
    20190711_200850.jpg20190711_200842.jpg

PainterDave Guest

i doubt that is the clear... youd really have to F up to have clear that wavy

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    i doubt that is the clear... youd really have to F up to have clear that wavy
    I agree, something under there is not straight, most likely the panel.
    What was your procedure to get it straight before painting?

Yesz there is a thinf called urethane wave... give me sata jet 1.3 tip and HS clear and let me move slow and i will make it wavy as a lake....

what u got there , i dont know , u claim the pabel is flat, yet those are deep depressions...and u walked the length of of bthe xar, but it seems like u stopped every foot while paibting and wenr back to overlap....

this is strange...

PainterDave Guest

i could give you a sata 1.3 and HS clear and show you how to make it flat !

i could give you a HF gun and show you how to paint with that too.

there aint a gun in the world that causes that lol

SATA 1.2 RP for Envirobase EC520 530 all day long.

that is poor body work that simple

i also should add could be bad blocking for polishing

maybe Wurth sealer gun does that.....lol

yup, i am spraying Debeer HS tonit with sata 1.2 rp....i got a set up and i am liking it !

I agree that there is such a thing as urethane wave but it's not what is depicted in the pictures. I won't even hazard a guess as to what the problem is with the paint on the red door in the picture. My description of urethane wave would be very small ripples in the paint, nothing like you see in the red door picture. And it's hard to sand out without a long rigid sanding block and relatively coarse sandpaper (nothing finer than 1000 grit and preferably 800 grit which in most cases necessitates spraying an additional flow coat (or the clear will be too thin).

My experience with urethane wave is it is usually the result to shooting urethane when the temperature of the paint and/or the vehicle is not warm enough. The clear or single stage just doesn't flow out like it should.

PainterDave Guest

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    maybe Wurth sealer gun does that.....lol

yup, i am spraying Debeer HS tonit with sata 1.2 rp....i got a set up and i am liking it !
    perfect gun for that clear. what HS ? they make a few

PainterDave Guest

what i know about Urethane Wave is it is from wet sanding with small blocks or hand sanding with small blocks, basically not blocking the clear properly before polishing

What length of sanding block did you use on the primer?
    Sanding in an X motion too?

Did you use a guide coat?

I don't think the body work was flat before you painted it.

Default urethane wave

No way this is a urethane wave. Reminds me of a lower, hard to access panel to block and straighten in the early stages of filler without using a guide coat. Top of door appears way straighter so I'm guessing sanding block was the right size (assuming the same block and X motion was used for top and bottom of panel), or at least for that location. The second pic almost shows a crown in the middle of the door or maybe it's the lighting? I absolutely know my Sata 4000 rp with 1.3 tip would never produce this, regardless of how many times I bent my elbow during that shoot. For what I see no flow coat is going to fix this. Would be nice to have more background and details on this panel to understand what went wrong.

Default It was the clear

May have not been urethane wave but it was definitely in the clear. I would have never sprayed thousand dollars in paint and $500 in clear on a panel/car that wasn't ready. I may be a noob but I'm not stupid, not saying that any of you said I was. I'm just telling you that my panel was straight and it was the clear. I ended up cutting it with 600 followed by 8 followed by a thousand followed by 3000 followed by 5,000. The last three we're all trizact. The 600 and 800 and 1000 were all on a block. My primer filler was sanded in the X fashion with a 14in Dura block. I probably have 30 to 40 hours in the each door or panel. As you can see its lazer straight. 2021 clear shot w iwata bellaria.

Thank you for your replys and guidance.

Dan.

Henry, thank you. 20190714_005932.jpg20190714_005932.jpg20190714_010113.jpg20190714_010201.jpg20190714_010209.jpg20190714_005932.jpg

Default Edit org post

I should of mentioned that in the very first pic, I had already sanded out the clear and fixed it.
    To answer some questions
    Yep, guide coat all the way, every step.
    Yep, door was block sanded in the x fashion while car was on lift so I could sand it much easier.
    This effect was not only on this door but on the other and all over. I'm not sure what happened. Clear sat for 2 weeks b4 I cut it.

Honestly I was very bummed out when this happened cause I too thought it was the substrate not being straight. But I knew in my heart it was. I spent a lot of time sanding this to get it perfect. As perfect as I could that is.

Wish I could post a video of the camera moving about in the light so you guys could see. Anyways

Thanks again.

Dan

In the first pictures it appears that the waves are vertical, are you spraying up and down? What kind of gun are you using and how many coats of clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    In the first pictures it appears that the waves are vertical, are you spraying up and down? What kind of gun are you using and how many coats of clear?
    No, I walked the car spraying.
    Iwata bellaria 1.3tip
    Ppg 2021
    1 med wet coat followed by 2 wet w plenty of flash time. 20 min as it was 78% humidity..