TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 78 Camaro material under rear window

Default 78 Camaro material under rear window

I'm trying to find the best way to refinish the cardboard piece under the rear window where the 6x9 speakers mount, I don't know what the piece is called so it's hard to find info on prepping the surface. Any info or prepping advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JMTC View Post
    I'm trying to find the best way to refinish the cardboard piece under the rear window where the 6x9 speakers mount, I don't know what the piece is called so it's hard to find info on prepping the surface. Any info or prepping advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim
    I would either cover it with cloth or just paint it with a single stage aerosol like Zero Rust. No matter what you do I'd recommend that you use a dark color so that the reflection in the back glass doesn't block your view.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I would either cover it with cloth or just paint it with a single stage aerosol like Zero Rust. No matter what you do I'd recommend that you use a dark color so that the reflection in the back glass doesn't block your view.
    I have interior mixed mixed to do dash pad and entire interior including piece under rear window, I purchased clear flattening agent.
    Just would like to know best way to prep so paint will stick.

Jim

I have interior mixed mixed to do dash pad and entire interior including piece under rear window, I purchased clear flattening agent.

Jim
    What is the surface you intend to apply it too, is it plastic?

Thanks
    Jim
    That would be called a package tray. Looks like replacements are available and CHEAP ! Here is a link from Jegs:
    https://www.jegs.com/i/PUI/233/70FP0...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Default Been referred to...

Thanks
    Jim
    Been called a "package tray".

Listen, I read below you got your interior paint. I see a potential problem in that you will be painting items of different substance. I know there are vinyl spays, door trim paint for plastics and even fabric sprays. And your package tray is made of a cardboard like material like a Masonite of years ago. My concern is the adhesion of this one product for all the surfaces you need to apply to.

I think you need to make a list of all the surfaces and phone or go back to where you bought the paint and ask specifically if what they sold you will work, adhere and is intended to adequately cover these surfaces?

Henry

Jim
    Ahhh cardboard. I'd just lightly scuff it with a gray scuff pad, blow it off then apply the paint.

dash.jpg
    I couldn't find a paint code for the interior blue color so I borrowed books of paint chips and matched a color as close to original as I could find (non metalic) then a buddy who owns a body shop mixed it up, he added a bit more blue and black and dabbed it on the test piece and it was very close to original. the paint is water borne Azko Noble. The urethane dash and plastic pieces I plan on cleaning well scuffing with grey scuff pad final wipe, adhesion promoter and paint same as urethane nose piece. The (package tray) is in good shape, I figure I would scuff and prime with urethane primer to fill imperfections sand and paint. just not sure if primer will stick to cardboard, would adhesion promoter help? I'm Also using flex additive. Next I planned on adding flattening agent to clear as per data sheet for really flat (matt)
    You might ask why I just don't ask my buddy all these questions, well I have asked him a lot and I don't want to wear out my welcome, also he does mainly collision not restoration.
    Am I headed in the right direction. Lol
    Jim

dash.jpg
    I couldn't find a paint code for the interior blue color so I borrowed books of paint chips and matched a color as close to original as I could find (non metalic) then a buddy who owns a body shop mixed it up, he added a bit more blue and black and dabbed it on the test piece and it was very close to original. the paint is water borne Azko Noble. The urethane dash and plastic pieces I plan on cleaning well scuffing with grey scuff pad final wipe, adhesion promoter and paint same as urethane nose piece. The (package tray) is in good shape, I figure I would scuff and prime with urethane primer to fill imperfections sand and paint. just not sure if primer will stick to cardboard, would adhesion promoter help? I'm Also using flex additive. Next I planned on adding flattening agent to clear as per data sheet for really flat (matt)
    You might ask why I just don't ask my buddy all these questions, well I have asked him a lot and I don't want to wear out my welcome, also he does mainly collision not restoration.
    Am I headed in the right direction. Lol
    Jim
    I would put adhesion promoter on any unpainted plastic and where the parts can't be scuffed properly. If the cardboard is covered with paint now you can just scuff and shoot but if there are areas where the new paint will be absorbed by the substrate I'd spray it with some sealer (like epoxy primer) before applying color.

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    That would be called a package tray. Looks like replacements are available and CHEAP ! Here is a link from Jegs:
    https://www.jegs.com/i/PUI/233/70FP0...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Thanks for the info, I want to keep this car as original as possible but will order that if the original does not turn out good.