TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Is fords cracking paint repairable.

Default Is fords cracking paint repairable.

This has been going on forever, I noticed my shuttle I use to drop off customers has cracked paint in researching this I find many people say even with a repaint it's not repairable..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...m/amp/70912214

I plan on keeping it a few years any suggestions..

Do I really have to use epoxy primer on a 2007..

2007 Lincoln towncar

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    This has been going on forever, I noticed my shuttle I use to drop off customers has cracked paint in researching this I find many people say even with a repaint it's not repairable..

2007 Lincoln towncar
    To produce a finish that will last you'll probably need to remove the cracked paint then prime, block sand and paint. For a quick and cheap job you can scuff, prime, block sand and paint over the cracked paint but it probably won't hold up very well because your substrate is unstable.

By the way your link doesn't work.

Default Aluminum contamination

2007 Lincoln towncar
    I may be wrong but if I remember correctly the only panels that could not be repaired are those that are made of aluminum for certain Ford models and years. Ford had some of their early to late 2000 model aluminum body panels that were contaminated with embedded iron particles, these panels are said to be non-repairable as the primer/paint will not adhere due to contamination of the aluminum with iron particulates. My suggestion would be to run a magnet over the panels that are showing signs of cracking (if it's isolated to certain panels and not the entire car) to identify an aluminum surface. I do know Ford put out a paint problem TSB, both for the aluminum and steel paneled cars so you might look up their TSB as well for the fix.
    Steel panels can be taken down to bare metal, primed and painted. If you find you do in fact have isolated aluminum panels that are cracking you "might" be able to take them down to bare aluminum and etch primer them, however I would reach out to Len and a few others first as they are the experts.
    As you are probably already aware of this cracking/peeling paint is a thorn in Fords side and simply said they screwed up. While I am no fan of vinyl wraps, if you use this car for a commercial adventure and you do in fact have some aluminum panels with this problem, it might be a way to go unless there is a solution for contaminated panels.

There are lots of recalls check with your local dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I may be wrong but if I remember correctly the only panels that could not be repaired are those that are made of aluminum for certain Ford models and years. Ford had some of their early to late 2000 model aluminum body panels that were contaminated with embedded iron particles, these panels are said to be non-repairable as the primer/paint will not adhere due to contamination of the aluminum with iron particulates. My suggestion would be to run a magnet over the panels that are showing signs of cracking (if it's isolated to certain panels and not the entire car) to identify an aluminum surface. I do know Ford put out a paint problem TSB, both for the aluminum and steel paneled cars so you might look up their TSB as well for the fix.
    Steel panels can be taken down to bare metal, primed and painted. If you find you do in fact have isolated aluminum panels that are cracking you "might" be able to take them down to bare aluminum and etch primer them, however I would reach out to Len and a few others first as they are the experts.
    As you are probably already aware of this cracking/peeling paint is a thorn in Fords side and simply said they screwed up. While I am no fan of vinyl wraps, if you use this car for a commercial adventure and you do in fact have some aluminum panels with this problem, it might be a way to go unless there is a solution for contaminated panels.
    It's a 2007 town car dont think it has much aluminum besides the wheels.. no recalls show up yet cracking and delamination on thousands of them..

20190710_040751.jpg

I really dont want to have to refinish this car complete.. the sides are fiberglass and the full roof is vinyl..

If you want your work to last you'll probably need to strip off the cracked paint then reprime and paint.

Default TSB vs recall

It's a 2007 town car dont think it has much aluminum besides the wheels.. no recalls show up yet cracking and delamination on thousands of them..

20190710_040751.jpg

I really dont want to have to refinish this car complete.. the sides are fiberglass and the full roof is vinyl..
    TSB (technical service bulletin) is not a recall. Recalls are generally done for safety issues only. TSB's will state the problem and how the technician is to fix the issue, at your expense. Len is correct, strip, prime and paint if you want it to hold up.

Default Zestar report on Ford paint failure

20190710_040751.jpg

Here is a link to the problem you are describing. A company called Zestar has done an in-depth analysis in which they identify several Ford models with this paint problem, to quote the article, "A Ford technical service bulletin identifies paint issues on some Expeditions, GTs, Mustangs, Rangers, Expeditions, Explorers, Sables, Town Cars, Navigators, Grand Marquis and Lincoln LS models but only in certain years"

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/f...dels/203415634

I have not read that TSB in years but I do remember it coming out.

how exactly is the paint cracking? i have a 2011 town car and i don't see anything failing regarding the paint. i haven't checked for aluminum panels though, i didn't think there were any on it.
    i've also been searching for tsb's on it and can't find a site that will list them. nhtsa only lists recalls on their site and i can't figure out where to get the tsb list.
    b marler

Default Town car

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    how exactly is the paint cracking? i have a 2011 town car and i don't see anything failing regarding the paint. i haven't checked for aluminum panels though, i didn't think there were any on it.
    i've also been searching for tsb's on it and can't find a site that will list them. nhtsa only lists recalls on their site and i can't figure out where to get the tsb list.
    According to the article 2010 and up Town Cars were excluded, I'm guessing they had the problem figured out by then

Default TSB's

I use to get all my TSB's from a company called Alldata.com, it's a pay for each vehicle service that includes repairs and TSB's

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    I use to get all my TSB's from a company called Alldata.com, it's a pay for each vehicle service that includes repairs and TSB's
    i saw their site. seems wrong to have to pay to see tsb's. why doesn't ford have that available?
    b marler

Default TSB's

i saw their site. seems wrong to have to pay to see tsb's. why doesn't ford have that available?
    I absolutely agree. It's just wrong that TSB's aren't required by government standards to be readily published by manufactures for public viewing. Automobiles are expensive, at the very least they should make this data public to help the consumer. When the Ford paint TSB came out I had a 2004 Explorer that showed up on the Alldata.com site, that is how I knew and read about it. That TSB listed all the same models from the above article. Unfortunately my 5 year subscription ran out as I sold the vehicle and had no reason to renew it, otherwise I would have access to it to provide you further information on the paint problem/fix.