TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: fillers sealers to use on rust repair

Default fillers sealers to use on rust repair

over 40 plus years ive tackled a fair amount of bodywork mostly fiberglass and custom now i need to do a rust repair and the more i research it online the more confusing it gets to my OCD.

its the lower outer cornors windshield frame cowl area under the fenders the front clip is off to get at it,
    so i planned to cut out as much rot as i can and weld in clean patch metal then coat with filler and sealer primer and paint,
    at the moment its treated with ospho to stop the rust as i form my repair plans,
    so, after the metal patches are welded in what fillers, sealers etc do you guys suggest i use?

many thanks
    cheers
    b

Quote Originally Posted by the13bats View Post
    over 40 plus years ive tackled a fair amount of bodywork mostly fiberglass and custom now i need to do a rust repair and the more i research it online the more confusing it gets to my OCD.

its the lower outer cornors windshield frame cowl area under the fenders the front clip is off to get at it,
    so i planned to cut out as much rot as i can and weld in clean patch metal then coat with filler and sealer primer and paint,
    at the moment its treated with ospho to stop the rust as i form my repair plans,
    so, after the metal patches are welded in what fillers, sealers etc do you guys suggest i use?

many thanks
    cheers
    b
    A picture of the repair area would help with the method and materials. If it's in an are that needs finishing then a fiberglass filler or All Metal would probably be best. You can see some All Metal repair HERE.

i guess i should have made clear the area is basically hidden when its all back together, and i plan to improve on even fix what i see as factory design flaws,

having issues loading a pic,

in my interest in learning let me ask question using hypothetical example we have a piece of sheet steel and on it is say a dime sized rust spot about half way thru the metals thickness, if we paint it with a por type product thats said to stop that rust, but wouldnt painting it with fiberglass resin, chopped glass filler or even shooting it with rust olum all stop rhat rust stop by cutting it off from the atmosphere?

thanks
    b

in my interest in learning let me ask question using hypothetical example we have a piece of sheet steel and on it is say a dime sized rust spot about half way thru the metals thickness, if we paint it with a por type product thats said to stop that rust, but wouldnt painting it with fiberglass resin, chopped glass filler or even shooting it with rust olum all stop rhat rust stop by cutting it off from the atmosphere?

thanks
    b
    If the only problem is surface rust then POR15 will do the trick but if the rust has weakened the metal then it would be better to remove the spot, weld in a patch and seal the repair. If the location isn't visible I'd recommend using a good sealer like the one shown below, it gets like hard rubber and would seal it better than fiberglass or All Metal.

20190701_105230-744x744.jpg

we will see if i got the pic to load, im just on a old phone,
    the product you linked me to sounds very promising and good price, can it go on over bear clean metal only or over filler too? i might want to use filler to smooth things, but know it doesnt show,

i have used por and it worked very well for me but i also saw it come off in like sheets on a buddies truck bed,

if the pic posts the white treated with ospho, the idea was water ran down the side pillars and along that outer edge gutter and inside the cowl fender to the ground, that front gap i dug out it was full of a soft sealer but after 50 years and the half ass way the factory shoots it in there water seeped in,

i planned to cut out, its the top of a box so to speak so i have to repair and treat any rot in there, but its not gone through that i can tell, then i have donor parts to cut my patches to weld in, the factory just spot welded, ill do better but im not a 100% perfect welder, not bubblegum bird dropping but not always fanned coins either, the patches can overlap if desired, the passenger side is worse,
    the 3 small holes were where a fiberglass fender mount was riveted on, im filling those holes and just bonding that mount there, im going to run the side fender pieces mounted race car quick release style then the front clip will tilt forward, hood will still function, like a weird transformer toy, lol,

this is a 69 corvette convertible, btw.

many thanks
    b

If I were doing the work I'd cut out the rust hole and replace the metal. Then seal the seams using the Fusor. On the rest of that surface I'd probably use either Zero Rust or POR15 after removing the loose material.

You'll probably need to remove the windshield to do the repair properly.

many thanks,

right, the windshield has to come out, actually its just sitting in there, and the pillars or sides of windshield frame have minor surface rust i have to repair but the problem child is the cowl area in the pic, you saw the one hole but theres another hole at the bottom gap end thats the top edge of the fiberglass firewall i have to address, pretty much all 68 to 82 vettes have this curse the leak pours into the foot wells and in bad cases the water sits in the base of the hinge pillar rotting out number 2 body mount, mine was okay, already swapped in a restored frame

is that fusor pretty good stuff as far as sticking to the metal and stopping water from rusting it?

on zero rust vs por do you perfer one?

many thanks,

right, the windshield has to come out, actually its just sitting in there, and the pillars or sides of windshield frame have minor surface rust i have to repair but the problem child is the cowl area in the pic, you saw the one hole but theres another hole at the bottom gap end thats the top edge of the fiberglass firewall i have to address, pretty much all 68 to 82 vettes have this curse the leak pours into the foot wells and in bad cases the water sits in the base of the hinge pillar rotting out number 2 body mount, mine was okay, already swapped in a restored frame

is that fusor pretty good stuff as far as sticking to the metal and stopping water from rusting it?

on zero rust vs por do you perfer one?
    The Fusor really adheres well to almost ANY surface. As far as the POR15 goes I've found that it can peel off in sheets so I switched to Zero Rust. Apply two or three medium coats of the ZR allowing it to flash between coats.