TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Single stage paint over Zero Rust

Default Single stage paint over Zero Rust

I want to spray the engine bay, door jambs and trunk area. I'll be using the Coating Store single stage metallic. These areas have been sprayed with Zero Rust several months ago. I was planning to sand the Zero Rust with 400 - 600 and then spray the paint. Will that be fine or should I sand, epoxy prime and then paint? First time going over Zero Rust so want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.

Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I want to spray the engine bay, door jambs and trunk area. I'll be using the Coating Store single stage metallic. These areas have been sprayed with Zero Rust several months ago. I was planning to sand the Zero Rust with 400 - 600 and then spray the paint. Will that be fine or should I sand, epoxy prime and then paint? First time going over Zero Rust so want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.

Art
    I've painted over ZR several times and never had a problem.

Thanks Len. That's what I thought. Wanted to make sure.

1) I have my trunk interior all painted with black zero rust. It was painting about 5 years ago and has sat inside since then.

2)I now have the inside of 1 qtr panel that was stripped of all sound deadening during the hammer stage. I will scuff the entire inside of trunk and re-spray the paintable rubberized undercoating to blend it in with the other existing surfaces.

3) ZR or Epoxy Primer?

4) Profit! I mean, spatter trunk paint the inside of trunk.

So on step 3, should I respray entire trunk with ZR and then top coat with the parts place trunk spatter paint?

Spray ZR on just the bare area I repaired, let it dry a few hours and spatter paint from there.

Or should I spray the trunk interior with black epoxy primer and then top coat with the spatter?

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    1) I have my trunk interior all painted with black zero rust. It was painting about 5 years ago and has sat inside since then.

2)I now have the inside of 1 qtr panel that was stripped of all sound deadening during the hammer stage. I will scuff the entire inside of trunk and re-spray the paintable rubberized undercoating to blend it in with the other existing surfaces.

3) ZR or Epoxy Primer?

4) Profit! I mean, spatter trunk paint the inside of trunk.

So on step 3, should I respray entire trunk with ZR and then top coat with the parts place trunk spatter paint?

Spray ZR on just the bare area I repaired, let it dry a few hours and spatter paint from there.

Or should I spray the trunk interior with black epoxy primer and then top coat with the spatter?
    Either the ZR or epoxy would work. If the ZR is in the aerosol can that's probably what I'd use just because it's easier and quicker. Apply two coats of whatever you use.