TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: painting a used bumper cover

Default painting a used bumper cover

Have a used urethane bumper cover from a sport option Ram on a 2004 dodge. I have two questions.

1. The air dam is integrated into the cover (see orange arrow), requiring me to tape it off so it stays black and the rest is painted body color. What tape product do you recommend to get a smooth line and sharp edge when I pull it off?

2. I have bulldog, epoxy primer, and single stage urethane topcoat. I will need to smooth out the paint (currently red with some imperfections). I have some polyester filler and will likely use that to make everything smooth. Should I use bulldog first, then lay everything (including the filler) on top?

I'm covering the red with grey primer then going for Light Almond Pearl urethane topcoat... not the actual job, but same red color and bumper cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    Have a used urethane bumper cover from a sport option Ram on a 2004 dodge. I have two questions.

1. The air dam is integrated into the cover (see orange arrow), requiring me to tape it off so it stays black and the rest is painted body color. What tape product do you recommend to get a smooth line and sharp edge when I pull it off?

2. I have bulldog, epoxy primer, and single stage urethane topcoat. I will need to smooth out the paint (currently red with some imperfections). I have some polyester filler and will likely use that to make everything smooth. Should I use bulldog first, then lay everything (including the filler) on top?

I'm covering the red with grey primer then going for Light Almond Pearl urethane topcoat... not the actual job, but same red color and bumper cover.
    You can use striping tape to cut a sharp line between paint and no paint.

LINK

As long as the surface that you're applying filler to has some "tooth" from sanding you shouldn't need epoxy primer but if you want you can apply the primer then wait until it flashes then apply your filler but the primer isn't usually needed.

What width of fineline do you recommend for this job?

You will have a lot left over so consider what size you will want to inventory and use in the future. The thin stuff is easy to make curves with and thatís what I have, about 1/8 inch. After you mark out your clean line you can put regular masking tape and paper on top of it carefully staying away from the clean line you want to keep.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    What width of fineline do you recommend for this job?
    If you don't need to make tight right/left curves then 1/4" works well.

Thanks.... Got that bumper done this spring, forgot to post. Painted with shopline single stage urethane. First try with metallic, not a bad color match. Will get around to doing the sport grille later this year.

installed.jpg