TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Wanting to step up to candy or multi-stage that mimics it

Default Wanting to step up to candy or multi-stage that mimics it

Considering doing a candy paint job on my current project or one of the multi stage systems that look impressive. I've dug around the HOK website, but I find it very confusing with all the options.

The vehicle is a 66 Mustang convertible I've worked on for way too many years. Being that there isn't a roof and is a pretty flat straight canvas, I figure it's the perfect candidate for a candy job. Also it is a candy apple red car, so making it a classic candy apple red seems to fit.

I shoot base and clear with a conventional Sata Jet-B.

Any advice on a system that would work well, be it a 3 stage or classic candy?

I would think that HOK would be a good choice.

You want to be sure to spray your mid-coat evenly, walk the sides and don't try to spray it panel by panel.

The overlap between panels will cause the color to be darker where it's overlapped.

Default Remember?

Quote Originally Posted by TNshadetree View Post
    Considering doing a candy paint job on my current project or one of the multi stage systems that look impressive. I've dug around the HOK website, but I find it very confusing with all the options.

The vehicle is a 66 Mustang convertible I've worked on for way too many years. Being that there isn't a roof and is a pretty flat straight canvas, I figure it's the perfect candidate for a candy job. Also it is a candy apple red car, so making it a classic candy apple red seems to fit.

I shoot base and clear with a conventional Sata Jet-B.

Any advice on a system that would work well, be it a 3 stage or classic candy?
    Remember this guy? Good video (series) for you to follow and you can pick out the parts you need some assist with. He did a candy apple red candy on his and got the paint from the COATINGS STORE. Have a look:

Keep us posted.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You want to be sure to spray your mid-coat evenly, walk the sides and don't try to spray it panel by panel.
    I learned that lesson with a silver blue metallic paint job. Looked great most the time, but on cloudy days you could clearly see where the gun was stopped. Strange how defused light made it show up.

Default The Coating Store

Have you guys used "Coating Store" paints? Not familiar with what they are.

Have you guys used "Coating Store" paints? Not familiar with what they are.
    Yes, I've used several of their paints and primers and they all have worked well. I didn't like the filler primer but everything else worked like it should.

A lot of what I read about candy jobs is that it's important to have a good UV protective clear to ward off die back and fading over time. I hear some reports that the Coatings Store Glamour Clear is fairly thin compared to SPI or some other high solids clear available.

Do you guys think it would be worth the extra expense to use the Coatings Store base and candy materials, but then use SPI clear to finish it off?

A lot of what I read about candy jobs is that it's important to have a good UV protective clear to ward off die back and fading over time. I hear some reports that the Coatings Store Glamour Clear is fairly thin compared to SPI or some other high solids clear available.

Do you guys think it would be worth the extra expense to use the Coatings Store base and candy materials, but then use SPI clear to finish it off?
    I've been using quite a bit of Glamour Clear on jobs and haven't seen any problems but I haven't used SPI clear so I can't compare the two.

Sadly HoK has turned into a joke of a paint line. their Kandy Koncentrates "KK series" are about all id use from them anymore. maybe flakes as well.

what base are you wanting to use under the red ?

I'm thinking of using a gold base, as that is what I've always heard works best with candy apple red from back in the lacquer days. Spoke with a girl answering the phone at the Coatings Store and she said she thought it looked better over gold. But they have 2 golds, Light Gold (an additional $25) or Egyptian gold (an additional $110). Gonna have to ask if they have any pictures over those bases.

I'm thinking of using a gold base, as that is what I've always heard works best with candy apple red from back in the lacquer days. Spoke with a girl answering the phone at the Coatings Store and she said she thought it looked better over gold. But they have 2 golds, Light Gold (an additional $25) or Egyptian gold (an additional $110). Gonna have to ask if they have any pictures over those bases.
    Be sure to check out the video in Henry's post #3, it should give you an idea of the color.

looking better over gold is a matter of opinion. but id say the top 3 bases for red are silver, dk silver, gold.