TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 67 skylark, front end sheet metal alignment

Default 67 skylark, front end sheet metal alignment

I'm wondering, do I need to mount the inner fenders while doing my mock ups and block sanding?

Or can I just mount the fender on the car without the inner fender in the way and go from there.

Default Couple schools...

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    I'm wondering, do I need to mount the inner fenders while doing my mock ups and block sanding?

Or can I just mount the fender on the car without the inner fender in the way and go from there.
    Couple schools of thought from where I sit.

First off, you do NOT have inner fender wells made of plastic like a newer car today. You have a clumsy, awkward, little heavy piece of metal so flipping it in and out is often a pain.

Sometime, you end up scratching either the well or inside of fender. The well does have a slight effect on your fender fit because it bolts to it and may tend to create some slight 'twist' so keep that in mind. (Check yours out & see.)

The other thing you can do for final assembly is mount the inner fender to the actual fender and install on the car as a unit; I mean, what the hell we take them apart as a unit, right?

I would guess you can do your preliminary work with just the fender.

Henry

Although I am making progress, I'm miles away from final assy. I almost have the entire car in epoxy +2 to 3 coats of FF. Last parts are the Passenger rocker panel which was replaced in the 70's, poorly.

Plus the trunk lid and the windshield cowl area that the windshield wipers mechanism runs.

Once I get all those primed, I intend to assemble the car and block sand with 80grit to finish the shaping.

After that comes another round of FF and blocking at 120, 150, 220 as needed.

after that comes 2k to finish it, then disassembly again and cutting in all the edges and door jambs with final color.

Then reassembly again.

At that point I will turn it over to a real painter.