TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: "basic" solid or semi metalic paint system

Default "basic" solid or semi metalic paint system

Wrapping up my 17 year old sons Jeep XJ rebuild/build.
    Uni-body and chassis work is completed, to this point, basically that was all painted in brushed, rolled and some sprayed alkyd enamel with hardener.
    Very little was sprayed, and that was done by me with a full face 3M with organic filters in the outside.

Now it is time to paint the engine bay, jambs, then exterior body.
    Originally I was going to assist him with a "Rustoleum brush and roll", but have decided to give it a real paint job.

So to put my question in perspective, we will be painting a 17 year olds jeep (and later my jeep XJ project).
    These jeeps will some off road camping trips, we are NOT spending to much time on body work after rust repairs, but have decided we would like them to look better and last longer than a Rustoleum job. I will be keeping my jeep for many years.

Things to keep in mind are:
    The colors we are thinking about are "semi metallic" too solid in nature.
    Durability and chemical resistance is important (brake fluid, oil, etc).
    We do have a 60 gal 2 stage compressor in a de-tached shop.
    I have an collection of old "Binks clones" from the 80's when I used to mess with hot rods.
    I do have a full face 3M respirator, I am not against a "hobbyair" if needed. But cant afford fresh air and a new spraygun.
    My shop is small and does not have a booth, this may be a "driveway" job.
    Would like to stay away from anything that is going to kill me.
    I do have a lot of experience spraying latex with an airless, so I have to concept" down, but maybe lacking in skills with modern auto paints.
    Ease of use would be nice, not a lot of complicated and crucial mixing, multiple coats, etc.
    I would like a paint system I could use on both the exterior (body) and chassis in the future and get away from the rustoleum in the future.

So, what is out there for "basic" painting of jeep body's and will double for chassis parts, trailers, rims, etc ??

Many thanks in advance,
    Slack

Sherwin William Genisis Single stage or Martin Senior from NAPA = same paint different labels,

PPG Essential also single stage

pretty sure both are 5 year,

a lot of guys on here probably got some other options as well

Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Wrapping up my 17 year old sons Jeep XJ rebuild/build.
    Uni-body and chassis work is completed, to this point, basically that was all painted in brushed, rolled and some sprayed alkyd enamel with hardener.
    Very little was sprayed, and that was done by me with a full face 3M with organic filters in the outside.

Now it is time to paint the engine bay, jambs, then exterior body.
    Originally I was going to assist him with a "Rustoleum brush and roll", but have decided to give it a real paint job.

So to put my question in perspective, we will be painting a 17 year olds jeep (and later my jeep XJ project).
    These jeeps will some off road camping trips, we are NOT spending to much time on body work after rust repairs, but have decided we would like them to look better and last longer than a Rustoleum job. I will be keeping my jeep for many years.

Things to keep in mind are:
    The colors we are thinking about are "semi metallic" too solid in nature.
    Durability and chemical resistance is important (brake fluid, oil, etc).
    We do have a 60 gal 2 stage compressor in a de-tached shop.
    I have an collection of old "Binks clones" from the 80's when I used to mess with hot rods.
    I do have a full face 3M respirator, I am not against a "hobbyair" if needed. But cant afford fresh air and a new spraygun.
    My shop is small and does not have a booth, this may be a "driveway" job.
    Would like to stay away from anything that is going to kill me.
    I do have a lot of experience spraying latex with an airless, so I have to concept" down, but maybe lacking in skills with modern auto paints.
    Ease of use would be nice, not a lot of complicated and crucial mixing, multiple coats, etc.
    I would like a paint system I could use on both the exterior (body) and chassis in the future and get away from the rustoleum in the future.

So, what is out there for "basic" painting of jeep body's and will double for chassis parts, trailers, rims, etc ??

Many thanks in advance,
    Slack
    i actually like the rustoleum for chassis stuff. or zero rust is awesome too. i've used hardener in the rustoleum but haven't tried it with the zero rust. both of those can be sprayed for a nice finish.
    for the body, i don't think you could get a much better price/quality option than the coatings store. like dave said single stage will work great for you if you're doing a solid color. if you want metal flake go base/clear.
    b marler