TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Any potential issues with not fixing this crack?

  1. #1

    Default Any potential issues with not fixing this crack?

    This seems kind of silly to post this question but I just got a truck and decided to slightly back into a tree parking on my second day owning it (ugh, what an idiot). Been so used to driving a car so the size through me off. Is there any way to fix this not being a handy/car person or if I donít fix it is there a chance it gets a lot worse or will will rust?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ohR90JH

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    39,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    This seems kind of silly to post this question but I just got a truck and decided to slightly back into a tree parking on my second day owning it (ugh, what an idiot). Been so used to driving a car so the size through me off. Is there any way to fix this not being a handy/car person or if I donít fix it is there a chance it gets a lot worse or will will rust?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ohR90JH

    Thanks!
    Where is that on the truck? If it's on metal it could rust as moisture gets in but I'd probably wait and keep an eye on it. It may just be a crack in the paint and not in the primer in which case it may never rust. If you get it repaired the shop may have a problem matching the texture of that surface.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Where is that on the truck? If it's on metal it could rust as moisture gets in but I'd probably wait and keep an eye on it. It may just be a crack in the paint and not in the primer in which case it may never rust. If you get it repaired the shop may have a problem matching the texture of that surface.
    It is on the rear bumper

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    39,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    It is on the rear bumper
    Is it a plastic bumper cover or is it metal?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Is it a plastic bumper cover or is it metal?
    I guess I’m not sure? It’s a Tacoma if that helps. From what I can tell the factory replacement ones are all one piece so I’m thinking it might be plastic cover? Its not what I would visually expect to be metal. So maybe it’s just the plastic and only thing I would need to worry about would be moisture getting into the metal behind it? Assuming I’m correct about plastic
    Last edited by LimerickShaw; 05-01-2019 at 08:59 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    39,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    I guess Iím not sure? Itís a Tacoma if that helps. From what I can tell the factory replacement ones are all one piece so Iím thinking it might be plastic cover? Its not what I would visually expect to be metal. So maybe itís just the plastic and only thing I would need to worry about would be moisture getting into the metal behind it? Assuming Iím correct about plastic
    If it looks like this it's plastic and you don't need to worry about rust. If you're still not sure put a magnet on it and that will tell you if it's steel or not.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If it looks like this it's plastic and you don't need to worry about rust. If you're still not sure put a magnet on it and that will tell you if it's steel or not.
    Looks like it might be metal just tried a magnet in the magnet did stick. Is it possible that the magnet is sticking to potential he any sort of metal behind it and it’s just plastic covering it? If that’s not possible should I be concerned with this crack?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    39,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    Looks like it might be metal just tried a magnet in the magnet did stick. Is it possible that the magnet is sticking to potential he any sort of metal behind it and itís just plastic covering it? If thatís not possible should I be concerned with this crack?
    If the magnet stuck to it then it's a metal bumper and could rust but I'd still wait to see if it's going to be a problem. The repair would probably stop the rust but may not match the texture of the bumper.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If the magnet stuck to it then it's a metal bumper and could rust but I'd still wait to see if it's going to be a problem. The repair would probably stop the rust but may not match the texture of the bumper.
    Dang, that stinks. Was really hoping it was plastic. It looks like maybe I can replace just the caps of it though which appears to be where the issue is. Iíll probably wait and keep an eye on it. I wonder if I could get caps with the same color as they currently are. I only see a lot of black or chrome ones online.

    In terms of keeping an eye on it for rust - would it most likely show on the outside where the crack is or should I be periodically hopping under the truck to check out what is behind it?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    682

    Default

    look here to see if this might be your bumper. i don't remember you saying the year of the truck.
    https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconsh...yABEgItvfD_BwE

    i tried to just get the picture but it wouldn't let me. anyway it gives an idea how the bumper is assembled.
    b marler

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •