TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Hanging doors

Default Hanging doors

Let me first say thanks for any help with my issue. I have very little ( none) experience in body work but I am a handy guy who loves to work on my truck.
    Just looking for a step by step on hanging newer doors on my 1995 Nissan HardBody.
    I have the doors and just wondered the easiest way to hang them. The cab side hinge is welded to the cab so I would think that I would just pull the 2 pins as well as the link that limits the swing on the door, put on the newer door, replace the pins and done.
    Am I making this way to simple ?
    What’s the best source for replacement pins?
    How much if any realignment will I need to do ? How difficult is that ?

i haven't worked with that particular truck but, the body side hinge may be bolted, but on the far side where you can't see it. the door side may have bolts you can access after pulling the door panel.
    but really, those pins may be easy enough to remove. i'd see if i could get some movement on them by tapping on the end. on some pins i've had to use an impact hammer to drive them out. if access is tight you need to get creative with the shape of the drift you use to pound them out.
    if there's no joy getting the pins to move i'd take the door apart and find the connection point inside the door. you'll probably need to do that anyway to align the doors after replacement.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
    Let me first say thanks for any help with my issue. I have very little ( none) experience in body work but I am a handy guy who loves to work on my truck.
    Just looking for a step by step on hanging newer doors on my 1995 Nissan HardBody.
    I have the doors and just wondered the easiest way to hang them. The cab side hinge is welded to the cab so I would think that I would just pull the 2 pins as well as the link that limits the swing on the door, put on the newer door, replace the pins and done.
    How much if any realignment will I need to do ? How difficult is that ?

I'd say that you got it right. If both sides (post side and door side) are welded then there's no adjustment, just hang put them in place and insert the pins. If the door side is bolted then you'll have some adjustment there. If you have no adjustment and the door is slightly out of line you can usually pressure it into position.

Default FEET!

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
    How much if any realignment will I need to do ? How difficult is that?
    You can do this but use caution.

Personal safety in regards to the door falling on your feet. It only hurts for a little while.

PINS: Pay close attention to the pins in the hinge. You have bushings that the pins guide thru and there is an up and down on install and OFTEN different size bushings. Make a sketch or take good pictures. LIGHTLY TAP the new bushings in place. Hit them too hard and they crack.

LEVERAGE: A jack stand and garage jack are good friends to help hold/balance the door as you work on it.

NEW PINS: Usually, auto parts stores have the brand, "HELP" assortment of replacement parts such as these pins/bushings in a 2 pin one door kit.

Don't forget to change the door locks and don't get locked out. Keep us posted.

Henry