Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
yea, Philv, we share same sentiment here..

i despise and dread when i gotta grab my Makita bufferbto correct paint mistakes...and i am still strong and youngish and i do feel buffer vibrations snd muscle fstigue..yes, there are lighter machines, but Makita is old faithfull..

abd yea, you gotta be concentrsted and work in diffcult ergonomical positions, one mistake and $$$ gone..

and you cannot polish or buff most of fresh Korean and Japanese cars, not enough material build on them....i burned tru a few Kias and Mazdas in my lifetime...

and the clean up, man, i tell people, i will polish and remove scrarches but you wash and clean the car ..

anything automotive is hard...
There are MANY levels of auto detailing.

The most difficult and biggest pain /ass would be colorsanding newly painted vehicles.

BUT people have cars detail for 39 to 99 dollars weekly or monthly just to keep it looking good.

I know of a couple car wash places that do this type stuff and mainly for area dealers to "make it look good to sell". Basically a bunch of guys (English may be a second language) who apply a cheap polish with an orbital (slow moving to apply polish). Then they microfiber that off.

Probably two guys one on each side of the vehicle. Two guys inside each, vacuum, windows, spray and brush seats to clean. Forty minutes and outside it goes looking good. (Till the first rain storm)

Then, there are people who use something like MeGuiar's quick detailer spray bottle with a microfiber cloth.

Some run the car through a carwash first then take it home to apply a cheap or good paste wax (by hand). Then some will use a buffer and compound.

The list of detailing options is very long and depends on what needs to be done, what the customer expectations are. For the detailer, how much to get involved, what tools, products, knowledge and capabilities you have.

Yes, it's hard work but the end result is very rewarding.

BEST ADVICE: For those who face a colorsand after new paint or just doing an entire car with any sanding & compounding, the best advice is DO NOT look at the entire car. Concentrate ONLY on an 18 X 18 or 24 X 24 area at a tune. Work that area to perfection and slide on over to the next same size area. (It's too overwhelming to look at the entire car at the same time.)

There are those who can (because they want to) and those who can't because they just don't want to!