TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Monkey on a stick tool

Default Monkey on a stick tool

Ola..

so, i have never ever used this tool, i always wanted to try it, it seems so versatile..

Monkey on a stick...Alsco body jack

ALC Keysco 77043 Monkey-On-A-Stick Jack Set https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000RH867A/..._I7cMCbN7MF7NW

what is your opinion, you olden bodyman that have used it?..

Len, Brian, Phil, Henry?

how good and usefull and applicable is yhis?..

i soooo needed something like this for a slight push pull on a rad support....

Default Brian...

Quote Originally Posted by baubau View Post
    Ola..

so, i have never ever used this tool, i always wanted to try it, it seems so versatile..

Monkey on a stick...Alsco body jack

ALC Keysco 77043 Monkey-On-A-Stick Jack Set https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000RH867A/..._I7cMCbN7MF7NW

what is your opinion, you olden bodyman that have used it?..

Len, Brian, Phil, Henry?

how good and usefull and applicable is yhis?..

i soooo needed something like this for a slight push pull on a rad support....
    Brian has spoken of that tool and showed examples of how to use it in the past.

I actually don't remember doing anything with the Friction jack. I did a basics with the "Pogo stick" but not the Friction jack.

Baubau, it's basically the same as a porto power where ever it will fit, it's usable. I just used one on Friday putting a fender and rad support on a 2018 Chevy pickup. The Rad support needed to be pulled forward to fit with the fender and I put it on the bottom back to the upper control arm on the suspension to push it forward, worked like a charm.

But that is all there is to it, I have a couple of them now, they are very useful.

Brian
    Touched by an Angel.

yesss !!

it seems easier and lighter to use than porto power jack...and with newer cars, many times i just need a light pull..

Henry, i actually built something similar to Pogo stick, pretyy much same thing , one small one bigger, it is so usefull for controlled pulls...

thanks, fellows...i will be buying this,..

Baubau, I have had one of those friction jacks since the early 1970's and still use more often that you would think. The accessories that came with it needless to say are long gone but the jack itself still works great. It doesn't have near the power of a porta power so it's not a substitute for hydraulic jacks. 90% of it's use is for lining up sheet metal and then mostly radiator support, fenders and hood.
    One big advantage of the "monkey on a stick" is that it can pull as well as push (again - great of lining up sheet metal.

Quick story -- in the late 1970's I worked for a Pontiac dealer in the body shop. The foreman was a jerk they hired straight off the street, never did bodywork or paint work. No idea what he was doing. Apparently he sensed I knew that and resented it. He kept feeding the good jobs to a couple suck asses and left me with shitty jobs. I finally had enough of it and went to work, gave him a dirty look and start moving my tool box to the roll up door. This ass hole comes up and says " what are you doing?" . I told him I had enough of his shit and was quitting. This poor excuse for a foreman say s "you can't quit". So I told him " Apparently you didn't hear me, I just quit and there isn't anything you can do about it. " So he says " You're not taking your tool box". That instantly pissed me off and I reached for that friction jack/monkey on a stick pulled it off my tool box and said " if you try to stop my I'll wrap this damn jack around your head. Apparently the look in my eye convinced him I was serious so he storms off. A couple minutes later the owner of the dealership comes walking up and said " Phil, whats going on ?" I told him about the foreman feeding me crap jobs and I was tired of it and that I could make more money somewhere else. He said he understood and he was sorry to see me go. The foreman was hiding in the background at that point and I stared him right in the eye hoping he would say something but he turned around and went in his office. My brother and I loaded up my tools in my truck and closed that chapter of my life. I was a little more hot tempered back then when I was younger and felt I was being wronged.

So, in short the friction jack/monkey on a stick is great for aligning core supports and sheet metal and it has an added bonus of it can be used for threatening ass hole foremans. LOL

The carrying handle on the upper tool box made a great way to store the jack. Just lift the upper tool box handle and slide the round rod part of the jack through the hole in the middle of the handle. Great storage spot for many years. Now I just lean it up against the wall along with my 10 lb slide hammer. (like this one -- https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/46D276_AS01?$mdmain$ ) another very handy tool.

I've been using one of those friction jacks for decades and wouldn't be without it. You can find them on my site for a lot less $ by clicking on the picture below.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is that you can use regular porta power extension pipes with the friction jack/monkey on a stick. Just slide the extension pipe over the end of the rod part of the jack. Give varying degrees of more reach as well as the different accessories that come with the porta power can then be used with the friction jack. That has come in handy many times.

Default Ain't it great!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    One thing I haven't seen discussed is that you can use regular porta power extension pipes with the friction jack/monkey on a stick. Just slide the extension pipe over the end of the rod part of the jack. Give varying degrees of more reach as well as the different accessories that come with the porta power can then be used with the friction jack. That has come in handy many times.
    You have been utilizing the laws of physics. Ain't it great?

First we sit and look at the damage, imagine how it got that way, then where should we introduce opposing force to 'undo' what has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I haven't tried that but next time I break out that jack I'll install some of my Porta Power pipe and ends to see how it works.

Default Hey baubau watch it!!!!

Hey Buddy " older body men" LoL great tool have used them and still do since the 70's also. take care baubau.