TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slick sand is soft,!!

Default Slick sand is soft,!!

Hi all I sprayed three coats of slick sand in the cold weather garage is at 63 degrees a week ago and the slicks and is still very tacky I mixed it correctly but I am worried that is never going to set up any ideas what I need to do or just let it sit please give me your input it's not my first time but this is new to me thanks in advance.

The flash time was a little compromised because I had a hard time with it flowing real well

Slick Sand usually hardens fairly quickly. Was it only mixed with the hardener or did you add solvent? The amount that was applied should not have made a difference.

In a panic I grabbed some finish1 ech primer reducer. But just a splash.could that be it?

Quote Originally Posted by JOE RIV 1 View Post
    In a panic I grabbed some finish1 ech primer reducer. But just a splash.could that be it?
    That's probably it. I sprayed some SS yesterday with no reducer and it's ready for sanding today. I have sprayed using reducer when I was using a 2.2 fluid tip but I switched to a 2.8 tip and now I just add the hardener and spray.

Well it's starting to set with a heat lamp my fingers are crossed! Thanks for the help!

It's gotten a little better but it's still kind of soft I have it outside in the sun but it's been over two weeks worst-case what do I do I'm kind of stuck will it set more info please guys

I did try to crack it open with some 180 just maybe open the pores so the solvent gets out
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JOE RIV 1 View Post
    I did try to crack it open with some 180 just maybe open the pores so the solvent gets out
    Thanks
    If possible I'd say to try to remove that SS then mix and apply it properly. I'd be afraid that it's going to cause problems down the road if you paint on top of it. I use it a lot and it NEVER stays soft more than a couple hours.

i don't think you can trust that to be a stable substrate for top coats. like len says, remove it and start over. i know that's not what you want to hear, but you already know that's the right thing to do. you might try to soften it up with laquer thinner and scrape off as much as possible before trying to sand off the remainder.
    b marler

Yeah it's looking that way! Thanks guys

PainterDave Guest

Etch prime reducer is NOT urethane reducer, i spray poly with a 3.0 back to back coats no flash time, it dries just fine. dont put acid etch reducer in poly.... strip it off there.

good luck

Thanks I messed this one up!

Striping my mestake
    Attached Images Attached Images

striped with a razor blade