TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiberglass Painting Help

Quote Originally Posted by Peedy View Post
    Thanks Len and Henry for the advice and suggestions. I plan to strip the paint and apply primer (and prep work needed) because the car will see plenty of daylight. The vehicle is an 05 Corvette that needed new panels.
    When I use a chemical stripper there are a couple of tricks I've learned....

1. Put a piece of masking tape over the gaps between panels so that the stripper doesn't drip in and damage jambs etc.

2. Apply a coating of stripper then put a sheet of plastic over it for about 15 minutes so that the stripper doesn't dry before it does it's job.

3. On plastic you should use plastic spreader to remove the stripper and paint because a metal blade can damage the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    When I use a chemical stripper there are a couple of tricks I've learned....

1. Put a piece of masking tape over the gaps between panels so that the stripper doesn't drip in and damage jambs etc.

2. Apply a coating of stripper then put a sheet of plastic over it for about 15 minutes so that the stripper doesn't dry before it does it's job.

3. On plastic you should use plastic spreader to remove the stripper and paint because a metal blade can damage the plastic.

great advice from len as usual. only thing i'd add is to line the floor with plastic so you can gather up all the old paint and stripper and toss it. that stuff is a mess to deal with if you don't plan ahead.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    great advice from len as usual. only thing i'd add is to line the floor with plastic so you can gather up all the old paint and stripper and toss it. that stuff is a mess to deal with if you don't plan ahead.
    Excellent advice we always put something on the floor so that the old paint and stripper can be picked up and trashed easily.