TheCoatingStore.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Painting Help

Default Fiberglass Painting Help

Hi,
    So I purchased some new fiberglass panels for my car and the person I got to help paint them painted the panels without any primer because he said it was not necessary. He filled in uneven areas and sanded the panels a bit to rough them up before painting.

My question is what you guys think about painting the panels without primer and if I want to apply primer now, do I need to sand or remove the paint all the way down to the fiberglass?

Thanks for any input.

Default No primer?

Quote Originally Posted by Peedy View Post
    Hi,
    So I purchased some new fiberglass panels for my car and the person I got to help paint them painted the panels without any primer because he said it was not necessary. He filled in uneven areas and sanded the panels a bit to rough them up before painting.

My question is what you guys think about painting the panels without primer and if I want to apply primer now, do I need to sand or remove the paint all the way down to the fiberglass?

Thanks for any input.
    I do not like the sound of no primer. What did he use to "fill uneven areas"? Seems the filler should at least have primer. I don't like this.

What kind of paint was applied? (not brand)

What sort of panels are we talking about? Does this guy have a business?

Who made the panels? If you have a name of who made them, contact them and ask about finishing them and see what they say.

Makes it tough when we don't know details of what you have going on.

(But no primer?)

Henry

This person is someone I know and he is doing it free of charge. The fiberglass panels are gel coated and I believe it does not have a primer. He used fiberglass filler for uneven areas and valspar lvbr100 for the base coat.

I’m really considering just taking off the base coat and applying the primer and reapplying the base coat. What do you guys think?

This person is someone I know and he is doing it free of charge. The fiberglass panels are gel coated and I believe it does not have a primer. He used fiberglass filler for uneven areas and valspar lvbr100 for the base coat.

Iím really considering just taking off the base coat and applying the primer and reapplying the base coat. What do you guys think?
    For car parts that would have seen an outdoor life I would have scuffed the gel coat and applied an epoxy primer prior to applying color.

Thanks for the replies. What would be the best way to remove the paint thatís already sprayed on?

Thanks for the replies. What would be the best way to remove the paint that’s already sprayed on?
    What paint products were used? Is it just base coat color or has it been clear coated?

If it's just base and solvent without activator you should be able to remove it with some 400 grit wet sanding.

It has a base and clear coat.

It has a base and clear coat.
    If it looks good I would probably leave it until it starts to fail then tackle the job. It's going to be real hard to "remove" with clear on it and machine sanding will most likely create irregularities in the fiberglass that will be tricky to remove.

Got it. Thanks.

Default YES to Len...

Got it. Thanks.
    Have to agree 110% to what Len said above.

Henry

If I do decide to strip the paint, would you guys recommend paint stripper for fiberglass? Other suggestions?

Default What's wrong?

If I do decide to strip the paint, would you guys recommend paint stripper for fiberglass? Other suggestions?
    I think you aren't happy with your finish. I just get that feeling.

If that's true then explain what you are not happy with so we can guide you from that point. If it's gloss and a clearcoat finish, you can lightly sand and buff it. (Not sure what tools or experience you have doing that.)

You have to understand you're dealing with fiberglass which is soft by comparison to sanding a metal panel. That said, even sanding a metal panel too much can generate a lot of heat and 'warp' the panel.

Again, not sure what tools or experience you have doing that. Two things:

1. If you have the right tool and experience to sand that paint off then do it.

2. Because you can adversely sand uneven waves into the soft fiberglass surface, you should use stripper.

Listen, there is very little you CAN'T do and many here can guide you through whatever that might be.

Henry

This product runs $35 per gallon plus shipping.

Default Another thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    I think you aren't happy with your finish. I just get that feeling.

If that's true then explain what you are not happy with so we can guide you from that point. If it's gloss and a clearcoat finish, you can lightly sand and buff it. (Not sure what tools or experience you have doing that.)

You have to understand you're dealing with fiberglass which is soft by comparison to sanding a metal panel. That said, even sanding a metal panel too much can generate a lot of heat and 'warp' the panel.

Again, not sure what tools or experience you have doing that. Two things:

1. If you have the right tool and experience to sand that paint off then do it.

2. Because you can adversely sand uneven waves into the soft fiberglass surface, you should use stripper.

Listen, there is very little you CAN'T do and many here can guide you through whatever that might be.

Henry
    I am replying to myself but have more to say to you.

That would be, if you strip all your paint off, what are your plans after that?

I suggest you lay out a solid game plan of what to do, who will do it, materials needed, what work you will do, who will do other steps and don't leave a stone unturned as you move forward.

QUESTION: Is this car a daily driver or can it sit safely while work is being done. I ask because as I told you earlier, you can come here (24/7) and someone is here to help you.

What kind of vehicle is this anyway? Don't believe you said.

Henry

Thanks Len and Henry for the advice and suggestions. I plan to strip the paint and apply primer (and prep work needed) because the car will see plenty of daylight. The vehicle is an 05 Corvette that needed new panels.