TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 2006 Honda Civic Seatbelt deployment

Default 2006 Honda Civic Seatbelt deployment

Hello. I'm new to the forum, so I sure hope I'm posting in the right area,
    I read this forum alot, so when I felt like I was getting a raw deal, with my insurance, and other people like the Dealer,i figured you are the go guys for the truthful answer !! 2006 Honda civic,key was turned to power only,engine was off,the car was not moving,and still in park. I engaged the power only for the ignition,there was aloud bang,i smelled sulfer,smoke came from the Dr floor by my knee,seatbelts retracted, but the airbags did not deploy,and something flew and hit me in the chest. Contacted Honda was told,to not drive the vehicle,because the airbags should ,have or could go off anytime, without warning.I have no vehicle to drive now, and it 4500.00 bucks to repair they say. Apparently the airbag module failed because, he said it senses when there has been a frontal collision, and sends the signal, for the seatbelts to engage. If there was no accident, then the system failed,and the whole darn thing needs to come out!! I can't afford 4500.00 to this. I ha e full coverage insurance, ( but not for a failed module, so I can't get help there,Honda of America said, if I call again,i can just go ahead and fax any questions I may have to their legal dept�� Honda of America said that my vehicle is a Canadian vehicle,so ifi was to get the work done, I would need permission to have it repaired in the u.s..What?
    Where was the permission slip to have authorization to buy this car? Cause I bought it in the U,S ?? I feel that I need the right and honest opinion,
    What would have made the seatbelts do that i, a parking lot ? Engine off, an I setting the straight from Honda? Also there is a current recall on my car for replacement of the airbag stuff for Takata. So I am not able cause this happen prior, anybody can help, that would be awesome
    Last edited by Sharlon; 03-07-2019 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Errors

Are you up to working on this yourself? It can be tricky to get things right. You need to be aware of all the components on your car and be able to check all of the wiring, find all the sensors and make sure no wires are cut and shorted out to another circuit. You can get another controller at a scrap yard and get a replacement for the parts that deployed. Be ready to remove the front bumper cover, the seats and carpeting along with the trim on the doors, pillars and dash board. Itís best to have a factory shop manual. They have a lot of data on air bags. Look on EBay and you may be able to find a used one. A lot of people have them and sell them when they no longer have the car.

Most controllers do a diagnostic every time you start the car and will set a warning light if something has failed. If you have a good code reader you can get the seat belt code and the shop manual will steer you to the problem. Other wise call around to small shops in your area and get a better price but look for a shop that your friends have had good experiences with.

Bob K

Default 2006 honda civic seatbelt fsilure

No I'm not going to do it,, I don't think I would be comfortable doing it. So the whole frontal bumper and all needs to come off !!? So by controller you mean airbag module
    Or no? What do you think caused that? Us know I feel that there is more wrong I never had one indicator light on the dash at even after the seatbelt failure.that's a lot of stuff to remove. Holy cow.so honda wasn't kidding.?

Yes, air bag module, and no not the front bumper but just the cover so you can see the collision sensors and the wires that go into the loom. You donít have to open the entire loom but follow it to be sure that the wiring harness isnít pinched and damaged. The seats are easy to remove and the carpet is usually held down by the sill plates that are also easy to remove. The pillar trim also helps hold the carpet down and it covers the seat belt anchor and pretensioner that you need to replace.

As for cause, I havenít a clue but I would suspect the air bag module and look at as much of the wiring harness as I can see. Maybe something sharp got pushed under the seat and cut the insulation on some of the wires. Maybe corrosion got onto the plugs on the wire harness from being wet. Maybe the car has been in an accident that deformed some sheet metal and that finally cut a few wires.

Itís not rocket scienceí you just need to get a look at a shop manual for the car and put another module in the car and check the codes with a code reader.

Does the air bag light come on now? It should be on and stay on. It should come on every time you start the car and then go out after it passes its diagnostic test. If it doesnít come on now then maybe a previous owner removed the bulb so it wouldnít mess up a sale.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Sharlon View Post
    Hello. I'm new to the forum, so I sure hope I'm posting in the right area,
    I read this forum alot, so when I felt like I was getting a raw deal, with my insurance, and other people like the Dealer,i figured you are the go guys for the truthful answer !! 2006 Honda civic,key was turned to power only,engine was off,the car was not moving,and still in park. I engaged the power only for the ignition,there was aloud bang,i smelled sulfer,smoke came from the Dr floor by my knee,seatbelts retracted, but the airbags did not deploy,and something flew and hit me in the chest. Contacted Honda was told,to not drive the vehicle,because the airbags should ,have or could go off anytime, without warning.I have no vehicle to drive now, and it 4500.00 bucks to repair they say. Apparently the airbag module failed because, he said it senses when there has been a frontal collision, and sends the signal, for the seatbelts to engage. If there was no accident, then the system failed,and the whole darn thing needs to come out!! I can't afford 4500.00 to this. I ha e full coverage insurance, ( but not for a failed module, so I can't get help there,Honda of America said, if I call again,i can just go ahead and fax any questions I may have to their legal dept�� Honda of America said that my vehicle is a Canadian vehicle,so ifi was to get the work done, I would need permission to have it repaired in the u.s..What?
    Where was the permission slip to have authorization to buy this car? Cause I bought it in the U,S ?? I feel that I need the right and honest opinion,
    What would have made the seatbelts do that i, a parking lot ? Engine off, an I setting the straight from Honda? Also there is a current recall on my car for replacement of the airbag stuff for Takata. So I am not able cause this happen prior, anybody can help, that would be awesome
    This sounds like a "legal" problem. Do some research online to see if you can find a law firm that is handling Honda airbag problems, you shouldn't have to pick up the bill for a factory defect. Did you purchase the car new or used?

If there is an active recall on the car for the Takata airbags then the first thing I would do is disconnect your cars battery. Then call a wrecker/tow truck and have it brought to your local Honda dealer. Tell them what's going on and at least have them replace the bad air airbags.

I have gotten at least a dozen Ford recall alerts for my Mustang Shelby to have the Takata airbags replaced but the car is in storage for the winter and I won't drive it to the dealer on Michigan winter salt roads. I will bring it to the dealer this spring when the roads are clear of all salt.

OK, back to your car. When it gets to the Honda dealer I would try and talk directly with the mechanic who is doing the work replacing the recalled air bags. Ask him what he thinks you should do. (that's kind of hit and miss because some techs are great guys and some are ass holes = applies to ALL dealership repair facilities everywhere). Either way it's worth checking into.

I hesitate to bring it up - but your car is 13 years old.

You said "something hit you in the chest". What was that about ?

On last thing. If this happened to your car then its safe to assume it happened to similar cars belonging to other people. Check with the dealer and see if there are any other TSB's out on your car. (Manufacturer's Technical Service Bulletins).