TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian salvage car rebuild videos

typicalcarguy Guest

Guessing doesn’t work with someone’s life. I’ll tell you Why your math is incorrect. All of the High strength steel he manipulated around the door openings,front rails,aluminum strut towers, incorrectly installing a roof panel with the wrong adhesive plus pop rivets instead of self piercing rivets will affect air bag timing and the seat belts to lock up when they are supposed to in a collision.

So in short you really have no air bags or seatbelts and the cabin will not distribute the force from a collision away from the occupants = zero safety.
    Last edited by typicalcarguy; 03-09-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say seat belts and airbags are 75% of the safety factor in a car today and the structure may be 25%. If that guy's repairs reduce the structural integrity by half, the car is still 87.5% as safe as before the wreck. I'd be fine with that for anything I drove.
    I seriously doubt the airbag systems are being put back in these cars. The bags, sensors, controllers, all the seat belts would cost a hell of a lot of money.

Lots of people are happy to drive a today car with the safety of an 80's car.

Then again, with TAKATA airbags it's questionable anyway.

Henry

PS: AIRBAGS and their components should NEVER have been allowed to have been single sourced. Assembly lines should have been shut down until all defective bags were replaced. AND defective ones have still been used!

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say seat belts and airbags are 75% of the safety factor in a car today and the structure may be 25%. If that guy's repairs reduce the structural integrity by half, the car is still 87.5% as safe as before the wreck. I'd be fine with that for anything I drove.
    your 180 out there. structure is everything on modern cars. study some pics of wrecked cars and really look at the damage and how the car reacted to the impact. then look at the new requirements for front impacts. there's nothing an airbag would do to help the car pass that test. it's all about how the car crumples to spare the passengers.
    if you drive a car repaired like that and know the history, fine. but don't pawn it off on someone without disclosure of the repair. in this country you'd get jail time. over there, who knows.
    i can respect someone with skills and enthusiasm, but i think he's just going for internet fame. most young people would like to have an internet angle to profit from.
    but there's no way i'd put my wife or family in a car that wasn't repaired to a high standard.
    b marler