TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Sealing brushed oil artwork on van

Default Sealing brushed oil artwork on van

Iím hoping to hear from experienced painters, Iíve spent the winter painting graphics on my 88 chevy van using Rustoleum brand oil paint ( brushed, not sprayed ). Once finished I want to apply a clear coat to the entire van ( using automotive paint/sprayer).
    Iím looking for suggestions for a high gloss clear paint, and whether oil base, lacquer, or acrylic is best for this application?
    Number of coats recommended, or even an idea of how many quarts it might take...
    Thanks for looking , and thank you in advance for your time and input.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John831 View Post
    I’m hoping to hear from experienced painters, I’ve spent the winter painting graphics on my 88 chevy van using Rustoleum brand oil paint ( brushed, not sprayed ). Once finished I want to apply a clear coat to the entire van ( using automotive paint/sprayer).
    I’m looking for suggestions for a high gloss clear paint, and whether oil base, lacquer, or acrylic is best for this application?
    Number of coats recommended, or even an idea of how many quarts it might take...
    John
    I would do a little testing first. Do some brush painting using the Rustoleum colors on a test panel then spray some clear of your choice after the colors dry. Be sure to prep the surface prior to the application of the colors so that you get a decent bond with the clear. If I were doing the job I'd probably use a decent acrylic urethane clear like that sold in The Coatings Store linked at the top of this page. I've been using their Glamor Clear which come in 1.5 gallon kits and should be enough to do the entire job.

Testing is needed to make sure that the clear won't react badly with the Rustoleum. You could purchase a quart kit first before purchasing the gallon kit.

Thumbs up

Thank you Len for your advice and suggestions,I appreciate it ! I didnít mention in original post but the graphics cover 90% of the van.

Thank you Len for your advice and suggestions,I appreciate it ! I didnít mention in original post but the graphics cover 90% of the van.
    Well if the surface wasn't prepped properly you may find that you have a problem with peeling paint but Rustoleum tends to bond well with the surface so you should be ok. Just make sure that the colors are "fully cured" before you apply the clear.

Default Photos!!

Iím hoping to hear from experienced painters, Iíve spent the winter painting graphics on my 88 chevy van using Rustoleum brand oil paint ( brushed, not sprayed ). Once finished I want to apply a clear coat to the entire van ( using automotive paint/sprayer).
    Iím looking for suggestions for a high gloss clear paint, and whether oil base, lacquer, or acrylic is best for this application?
    John
    John, welcome. You have come to the right place. These guys have years and years of expertise and are willing to help. I think that only God and Len know how many stupid rookie questions I have asked over the past few years, so yours is a walk in the park for them.

* Now, you started out with a question regarding a van that you have hand painted 90% of? Where's the photos??

I will post one pic for now, not even my family has seen it, and wonít till itís complete.
    More has been added all over, Grateful Dead theme. Iíll post finish pics when itís done if anyone is interested.
    958C761C-9B6E-4068-9FD5-EBF8A0487A56.jpg

Looks like fun. We would love photos when it is finished up.

I will post one pic for now, not even my family has seen it, and won’t till it’s complete.
    More has been added all over, Grateful Dead theme. I’ll post finish pics when it’s done if anyone is interested.
    958C761C-9B6E-4068-9FD5-EBF8A0487A56.jpg
    Awesome! Love seeing creative folks work.

Like Len said, prepare some test panels.

Also, when the time comes look into scuffing paste (I like the 3M gel stuff), it will help clean and scuff for adhesion of the clear coat.

But also try it out on the test panels and your brushed on artwork first.

* Have you used an automotive spray gun before? If not practice again on some panels, you don't want a bunch of orange peel or runs on that much artwork

Thank you, I will check out that scuff gel. Yes I have used a spray gun once before, when I bought this van 6 years ago it had large gradient grey stripes, I did all the prep and painted it white and then splattered colors, I sprayed a clear coat over that then too but donít remember what kind it was.

Default Finished

53196676_10158629443864466_3777921583671148544_n.jpg53022096_10158629443729466_5594948356267835392_n.jpg
    I went with Rustoleum Auto Body High Gloss Acrylic Enamel, 4 coats, All is well,
    Thank you all for your imput !