TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Filler questions

Default Filler questions

It's me again!

I"m working on the far rear of the quarter panel where the emblem badge is mounted.
    IMG_1772.jpg

This area of filler is deeper than I thought or the very rear edge is higher than I thought, but the filler is fairly deep right here. This is a close up of the hole.
    IMG_1773.jpg

I measured the filler thickness thru the hole and I was surprised it was about 0.082" thick. Less than 3/32 but more than 1/16. By the time this is primered, blocked etc, that could end up around 0.100" thick on that panel over those holes. If this was in the middle of a panel with no holes, I wouldn't KNOW how deep it is and would just let it go. Now that I know, I want suggestions.

Should I grind that area out, hammer and dolly that face a bit further to keep the fill thinner, or just quit worrying about stupid shit, if it's less than 1/8" cave and pave.

I just don't want the emblem to physically cause failure way down the road.

if it were mine, i wouldn't worry about it. being close to the edge of the panel there's structure and curves to add strength so a little thickness in a small spot or two shouldn't be a problem. i've seen far thicker filler work survive for decades.
    b marler

Default another question regarding filler prep

Here is a place where there was some rust pitting in the middle of a panel. It has been sanded down and pickle20'd months ago but there remains some dark black spots.

IMG_1774.jpg

Here is another place at the rear of the drip edge.
    IMG_1775.jpg

It is still structurally strong, but looks fairly pitted.
    What is my best fix for this?
    A thin layer of Everglass to seal it?
    Or just leave it, and epoxy primer over the pitting and let the high build even it out?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.
    Jon

That first pic looks quite a bit worse than the second and almost looks like it is clear through. Is it not?

Second one looks smooth enough that you can sand it out or work at it a little more with some phosphoric (picklex) before proceeding with epoxy.

I would not leave either as is. Spend the extra day on it now and have piece of mind if nothing else.

actually the second picture is worse than the first, must just be the angle or lighting.

There is no pierce thru anywhere.

To be clear, I'm saying you should spend the extra time to get the rust out of the pits, not removing the pits. Your surfacer will take care of them.

i'd pick up a spot blaster to get that cleaned up better. some have a recovery cup to keep the dust down while you blast. since you pickled it the rust might not reappear, but then again, maybe it will.
    len might sell them here, or they can be found many places.
    b marler