TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Questions about 2K Polyurethane Clear

Default Questions about 2K Polyurethane Clear

Just a few questions if you could answer for me,

How hard to wet sand & buff long after applied? Maybe it varies from brand? I have used a 2pac canned woodwork polyurethane clear on wood & it was noticeably harder than 2K urethane auto spray clear, aswell noticeably more scratch resistant. More effort to sand & buff but still got it to a mirror finish no problems.

Is there such a thing as witness lines when wet sanding? I read with all poly canned brush clears the coats don't merge together and dry independently, but not sure if that applies to spraying with those small flash times.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Renz View Post
    Just a few questions if you could answer for me,

How hard to wet sand & buff long after applied? Maybe it varies from brand? I have used a 2pac canned woodwork polyurethane clear on wood & it was noticeably harder than 2K urethane auto spray clear, aswell noticeably more scratch resistant. More effort to sand & buff but still got it to a mirror finish no problems.

Is there such a thing as witness lines when wet sanding? I read with all poly canned brush clears the coats don't merge together and dry independently, but not sure if that applies to spraying with those small flash times.

thanks
    If the coatings being applied are the same material you are less likely to run into problems with shrinking or expanding differences. It's when one of the coatings is harder or softer than the other that those differences can show on the final finish as the coating ages. The difference can come about using different hardener or different reducers as well as different paint products.

Your prep can help eliminate aging problems when using dissimilar materials. If the prep is good and the scratches are fine then shrinking irregularities will be less noticeable and easier to remove as the finish ages.

Care to share the brand?
    I don't have a lot of experience with woodworking clears, so I tend to use automotive on the occasion I need to. But I'd be interested if there is something harder & more scratch resistant

Quote Originally Posted by like2wheel View Post
    Care to share the brand?
    I don't have a lot of experience with woodworking clears, so I tend to use automotive on the occasion I need to. But I'd be interested if there is something harder & more scratch resistant
    I've been using mostly UreKem and Diamont products on mid-quality work and Glasurit on high priced work.