TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: removing orange peel from single stage 2 coat job & other thoughts

Default removing orange peel from single stage 2 coat job & other thoughts

Got my old 71 F250 painted. The young man did a great job on the metal and prep work. The paint, well, got a huge run and several spots of orange peel. He said this was the first time working on a vehicle of this size, and spraying this paint. He said it was like water to so he was working quickly. It's got two coats and was painted about 3 weeks ago.

I have seen a few YouTube vids about using 2000 git then compound and polish, using 1200 and work up to 2000, and a vid of using only a certain 3M compound and a denim polish pad. I have also see a few threads that say to wait a few months, a few weeks, or anytime, if I do any of it, it will be the whole truck.

Another thing, there are two spots that need metal work. This truck had a small side mounted tool box on the bed on the passengers side, I need to either pull out a small area or pound in the lip of the tool box, if I do either, do I run a risk of damaging the paint?

There is also a support bracket that he forgot to spot weld back to the lower bed panel. My first thought was to just drill a hole for a bolt, the bolt will be facing the road so its not really going to be seen. 2nd thought, is there an epoxie that would to the same thing, one that would bond metal to metal?

So, what are the thoughts ?

thanks

Default My thoughts...

My thoughts; (from a rookie weekender who still sands off more than I keep)

1) How much did you pay this kid?
    2) If the prep work was good then you wouldn't need to bang out dents - why do you need to either pull out a small area or pound in the lip of the tool box? And yes banging on sheet metal runs the risk of causing problems.
    3) You can try wet blocking out the orange peel - if you break into the primer, your screwed
    4) Post photos, they help
    5) What kind of paint?
    6) What's for dinner?
    7) What do you plan on doing with the truck? You may just want to drive it
    8) The runs can be dealt with razor blades, sand paper on a stick, the little run blocker aluminum blocks or the nib files that Len sells.
    9) If the paint can be saved, you can sand out all the orange peel and runs and shoot clear over the whole thing to build up film thickness.
    10) God that Super Bowl was boring.
    11) Funny how them old Ford trucks are in demand now.

Default "start over"

With the things you listed...

Fix the things you have identified, get the surface sanded back smooth and scuffed, and respray another 2-3 coats.

Do the box and cab in separate sessions to keep from being overwhelmed, if that was part of the problem.

Answering the other questions above will help still, though.