TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Paint guns

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    PD's point is probably redundant for this forum's experts, but for a rookie like myself, I had to learn (the hard way) about each one of those variables - and actually I am still learning.

    But, what I found as a total newbie to this hobby (for me) is that the better guns allowed me to more easily produce a better finish. The first time that I shot clear through a FLG-4 compared to a Starting Line gun I was amazed. After I purchased a Sagola 4600 from Len, I was stunned at the atomization with pretty bone head settings (full fan, fluid knob just kissing the trigger, 2 bar, duh). I could also tell the difference between the Sagola CC cap and the Sagola HVLP cap which I just never got the hang of and just don't use anymore as I don't need to.

    Anyway, unlike say something like an advanced wakeboard which you don't want to put a first time beginner on, I believe a good gun will help a rookie if they have one available.

    BTW, that is a smoking price on that FLG-5. Is that a European spec Devilbiss? If so, is there a US equivalent?
    So true. The best thing I did for myself was drop the HVLP and move to the HTE. I bought a Tekna copper on ebay a long time ago and sold it before I ever even used it...now I wish I hadn't LOL. Probably a little excessive of a gun for the enamels that I'm always shooting anyway.

    The less things you have to worry about, the better, and it just compounds the bigger the job is.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    If the Devilbiss that you are looking at is the same as the one in my photo, the #3 air cap is an HVLP. Their literature lists a conventional air cap as a #1 which I would like to try one as I suck at using an HVLP compared to a conventional cap. Here's one for ~$40
    This thread reminded me that I had been wanting one of the Devilbiss' conventional air caps for my FLG-4, so I finally ordered one and it arrived at my shop today. Cant wait to try it out and see what the difference is between it and the HVLP cap.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    This thread reminded me that I had been wanting one of the Devilbiss' conventional air caps for my FLG-4, so I finally ordered one and it arrived at my shop today. Cant wait to try it out and see what the difference is between it and the HVLP cap.
    i suspect you'll like it. as long as you have enough air capacity anyway. i've never been happy with hvlp air caps, and have had much better results with compliant or conventional.
    no experience with the flg 4 though, maybe it's fine? maybe it's just me.
    b marler

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    S.F. Bay area, CA
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I may have a supplier for that gun but I noticed that it's made in Brazil and parts may be difficult to get.
    The FLG5 is now made in the UK, no longer Brazil.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i suspect you'll like it. as long as you have enough air capacity anyway. i've never been happy with hvlp air caps, and have had much better results with compliant or conventional.
    no experience with the flg 4 though, maybe it's fine? maybe it's just me.
    Well I got my Devilbiss #1 conventional cap and tried it out over the weekend. I couldn't believe what a difference it made compared to the #3 HVLP air cap. I shot Silver Sealer, then Silver BC with a bunch of .004 flake mixed in.

    I was able to lay the BC down some much easier and smoother than I had with that gun running the #3 tip.


    FLG-4 #1 Tip.jpg

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    Well I got my Devilbiss #1 conventional cap and tried it out over the weekend. I couldn't believe what a difference it made compared to the #3 HVLP air cap. I shot Silver Sealer, then Silver BC with a bunch of .004 flake mixed in.

    I was able to lay the BC down some much easier and smoother than I had with that gun running the #3 tip.


    FLG-4 #1 Tip.jpg
    glad to hear it. like i said, hvlp air caps never really work well for me. i'm sure i could learn to compensate, or just get different equipment that works better, but i'd rather just not use them. i learned to paint using old conventional equipment, and maybe i'm too old to learn new tricks.
    b marler

  7. #37

    Default we were fooled!

    It is kind of funny how we were all fooled by the new technology of HVLP 20 years ago by flashy marketing! I've seen a lot of comparisons and opinions on which one actually saves material, and to me it is hard to say which one is actually better.

    Luckily the HTE caps are supposedly the best of both worlds, and my little experience agrees. I don't notice more material use and the finish is so much easier to get.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jake_h View Post
    It is kind of funny how we were all fooled by the new technology of HVLP 20 years ago by flashy marketing! I've seen a lot of comparisons and opinions on which one actually saves material, and to me it is hard to say which one is actually better.

    Luckily the HTE caps are supposedly the best of both worlds, and my little experience agrees. I don't notice more material use and the finish is so much easier to get.
    yeah, luckily back when i had my shop i didn't really have to deal with many environmental regulations. i didn't have to use the hvlp on a regular basis so i didn't really invest in the technology.
    i really think the gun design is just so much better now that it doesn't really use more material to use the conventional air caps. the transfer efficiency of the new stuff is amazing when you compare to the old model#7. and the fan shape, wow! what a difference.
    i do have one hvlp gun, but every time i use it i'm disappointed. i might just turn it into a desk lamp or something.
    b marler

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •