TheCoatingStore.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint guns

Default Paint guns

After searching the forums, I'm more confused than ever.

I don't need or want a gun to shoot BC/CC. I have no intention of painting my car myself as I have no booth and no experience.

I just want a good gun to shoot epoxy primer and Poly Primer FFg2.
    The epoxy asks for 1.3-1.6 and the FFg2 asks for 1.8-2.2 tip sizes.

I will probably paint the interior dash / top of door/ and around the back with a semi gloss paint, but that is likely to be the most finish paint I would do.

Looking at Sharpe Finex 3000; $134 1.3; 1.4; 1.5 or 1.8
    Iwata Air Gunsa $141 1.8 or 2.0
    Devilbiss FLG-670 FLG4 $210 BUT comes with both 1.8 and 2.2 OR with 3 tips 1.3, 1.5, 1.8 for $259 (too much $$ for me. I'm poor)

It seems buying an extra needle, fluid tip and cap runs about $60-80 on the first 2.

Am I going to get away buying a single gun or should I get a new gun with a smaller tip like 1.4 and just use my $20 special with the 2.0 tip for FFg2?

I'm getting closer to spraying larger areas on the car, quarter panels and around the back end, so I really want to have a decent gun to use.

I have a large industrial compressor that puts out 20cfm easily so I'm not concerned about low flow compressor.
    I don't have a spray booth so low overspray is important.

I've also heard about Warwick guns as well as the really spendy guns.

So what might be a good suggestion for the under $200 primer gun.

I wouldn't set a cutoff price but I can say I have an FLG 3 with a 1.3, 1.8 and a 2.2 tip that I used as my primary gun for many years. The FLG 4 is a newer improved model. I got a more expensive gun a few years ago but I still use the FLG for all my primers, and for wood working too and I expect to use it for many years to come.

Bob K

I think I'm leaning towards the FLG4 -670 set up. It's more money but comes with 3 tip sizes so as a 1 and only gun, it is probably the most versatile. I will keep my cheap 2.0 gun for just the FFg2 .

It's only money.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    I think I'm leaning towards the FLG4 -670 set up. It's more money but comes with 3 tip sizes so as a 1 and only gun, it is probably the most versatile. I will keep my cheap 2.0 gun for just the FFg2 .

It's only money.
    I now use an Air Gunza with a 3.0 tip to shoot the G2FF and love it.

But you can also get a TCP Global gun with a 2.5 tip for the G2FF as you will be sanding anyways.

Use a better gun to shoot your epoxy as your finish will be better.

Is the FLG4-670 the Finish Line gun? (the one on the left below) I have a Finish Line 4 that I use for sealer - its a good gun, keep any gun you have clean especially when shooting sealers or the G2FF.

Kinda curious, if you aren't going to paint, what are you going to do after you apply the sealer?

The ANI F150 is a low priced gun that puts out a real nice pattern. I use one with a 1.7 for shooting flakes. I didn't want to shoot heavy flakes through my Sagola, as I DUMP a LOT of flakes when I shoot them.

Good Luck

FL4 & 4600 Sagola.jpg

There is always some guy that knows a guy kind of deal. I have talked to one local guy and also have a couple retired paint guys that I want to chat with too.

I will burn that bridge when I get to it I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post

It's only money.
    I'm a little late to the party but...

Don't restrict yourself to HVLP if you don't have to. It is in existence because of emissions compliance but the marketing guys have put a good spin on it for us buyers. As a hobbyist you will be much happier with an HTE or conventional sprayer, IMO, especially if you aren't doing basecoats.

Looks like you have already chosen against the Finex. Good. I gave mine away.

A gun you rarely see mentioned but is what I use constantly is the CAT techline. They have updated high transfer efficiency aircap versions as well and you can get multiple nozzle setups. I think they are right at $250 for a setup like this now. I'm pretty sure you get both HTE and HVLP in fact...great guns that are gluten free and cholesterol free.

A gun I have no experience with but see nothing but praise for is the FLG-5. You can get one in 1.4 or 1.8 for about $150 each. They might be worth looking into if you trust some internet reviewers...check them out on YouTube.

Don't ever put polyester through an even decent gun. One wrong move and it's toast. edit: I always say this because I got burned doing it and not being religious about cleaning. As other posters have pointed out, they do it successfully...I just don't find it to be a good place to invest money.
    Last edited by jake_h; 02-08-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jake_h View Post
    I'm a little late to the party but...

Don't restrict yourself to HVLP if you don't have to. It is in existence because of emissions compliance but the marketing guys have put a good spin on it for us buyers. As a hobbyist you will be much happier with an HTE or conventional sprayer, IMO, especially if you aren't doing basecoats.

Looks like you have already chosen against the Finex. Good. I gave mine away.

A gun you rarely see mentioned but is what I use constantly is the CAT techline. They have updated high transfer efficiency aircap versions as well and you can get multiple nozzle setups. I think they are right at $250 for a setup like this now. I'm pretty sure you get both HTE and HVLP in fact...great guns that are gluten free and cholesterol free.

A gun I have no experience with but see nothing but praise for is the FLG-5. You can get one in 1.4 or 1.8 for about $150 each. They might be worth looking into if you trust some internet reviewers...check them out on YouTube.

Don't ever put polyester through an even decent gun. One wrong move and it's toast.

funny you mention CAT, not many people know about them. i grew up using them, they are still decent guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PainterDave View Post
    funny you mention CAT, not many people know about them. i grew up using them, they are still decent guns.
    Are they ever! First good gun I got after having a Finex. I'm not sure if my Finex was defective from the factory or what. I couldn't move fast enough with it and the pattern was too narrow. People seem to really like them though..

I have the HVLP Techline gun and bought the HTE air cap as an upgrade for it - money well spent!

Quote Originally Posted by jake_h View Post
    ...Don't restrict yourself to HVLP if you don't have to. It is in existence because of emissions compliance but the marketing guys have put a good spin on it for us buyers. As a hobbyist you will be much happier with an HTE or conventional sprayer, IMO, especially if you aren't doing basecoats...
    If the Devilbiss that you are looking at is the same as the one in my photo, the #3 air cap is an HVLP. Their literature lists a conventional air cap as a #1 which I would like to try one as I suck at using an HVLP compared to a conventional cap. Here's one for ~$40

...A gun you rarely see mentioned but is what I use constantly is the CAT techline. They have updated high transfer efficiency aircap versions as well and you can get multiple nozzle setups. I think they are right at $250 for a setup like this now. I'm pretty sure you get both HTE and HVLP in fact...great guns that are gluten free and cholesterol free...
    Also look at the Ani - I like mine

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    If the Devilbiss that you are looking at is the same as the one in my photo, the #3 air cap is an HVLP. Their literature lists a conventional air cap as a #1 which I would like to try one as I suck at using an HVLP compared to a conventional cap. Here's one for ~$40

Also look at the Ani - I like mine
    I think you misquoted --

The FLG4- mentioned is the gun similar to what is in your photo. I mentioned an FLG-5/SGK in my post. I've never used either but the price point on the SGK + the incredible praise it gets makes me wanna get my hands on one!

Close to the same boat.

I'm not a professional and could not justify buying a really expensive gun for no more skill than I have.

I was looking for a gun (cost) that would allow me to do some of the work but not necessarily paint the entire Blazer.

I bought the FLG-5. I bought it from SprayGunsDirect. I think I paid about $159 total with shipping.

Thus far it has performed flawlessly. The fan is much wider than the bo-bo guns I used before. Not being a paint guy (pro), it puts out a lot more paint than the bo-bo guns.

The toughest part was picking up my pace to keep up with the gun and getting use to the wide fan.

I shot some single stage urethane thru it and it is a much better gun than I am a painter.

I'm thinking I could have bought the FLG-4 and the multiple tips and been in a better spot. (Still u sing one of the bo-bo guns with a 2.0 tip to shoot the epoxy primer.)

I am not sure I could proof the difference between the 4 and the 5.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott123 View Post
    Close to the same boat.

I'm not a professional and could not justify buying a really expensive gun for no more skill than I have.

I was looking for a gun (cost) that would allow me to do some of the work but not necessarily paint the entire Blazer.

I bought the FLG-5. I bought it from SprayGunsDirect. I think I paid about $159 total with shipping.

Thus far it has performed flawlessly. The fan is much wider than the bo-bo guns I used before. Not being a paint guy (pro), it puts out a lot more paint than the bo-bo guns.

The toughest part was picking up my pace to keep up with the gun and getting use to the wide fan.

I shot some single stage urethane thru it and it is a much better gun than I am a painter.

I'm thinking I could have bought the FLG-4 and the multiple tips and been in a better spot. (Still u sing one of the bo-bo guns with a 2.0 tip to shoot the epoxy primer.)

I am not sure I could proof the difference between the 4 and the 5.

Scott

As a rookie weekender, I found the better guns definitely made shooting the sealers, BC and CCs a LOT easier. Going from the Devilbiss Starting Line (junk) to the Finish Line was a huge step for me - Once I tried the Finish Lines FLG-4 I sold the Starting Linge guns on CL. Then I bought a Sagola 4600 from Len and that gun made me look like a much better painter than I am!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    As a rookie weekender, I found the better guns definitely made shooting the sealers, BC and CCs a LOT easier. Going from the Devilbiss Starting Line (junk) to the Finish Line was a huge step for me - Once I tried the Finish Lines FLG-4 I sold the Starting Linge guns on CL. Then I bought a Sagola 4600 from Len and that gun made me look like a much better painter than I am!!
    I've learned already at the ripe age of 32 that just buying good tools to start out is the only way to go.

Get a $300 gun and don't like the hobby after 1 job? Sell it for $275...and remember how nice it was while it lasted.

Otherwise you are continually dropping $100 more on things upgrading them incrementally. Over do it on day 1 I say! The price of the CAT, FLG4, FLG5, and even Iwata w400 makes them too good to pass up for a hobbyist.

Agree and then not so much.

I agree spending it once is a much better plan. And that works for a lot things but paint guns may be one of the exception.

It is hard to recoup money on a used gun so that part will factor. The value of even the very best used gun is dependent upon want went thru it and more importantly how well it was cleaned/kept. And whether you trust the guy selling it, and then if the used gun is more than half of the new gu, most go with the new gun.

Another example is my tools and my brother-in-law's tools. I do not earn a living with my tools but his tools are his livelihood. He spends a lot of money for his tools because if they break or fail, he starts losing money til it is replaced. (somewhat exaggerated but more so to make a point). I buy Craftsman/Kobalt tools and even take advantage of some Harbor Freight stuff. If it breaks or fails, I go to my real job on Monday and then swap it out when I can.

Scott

Great thread and great information.

I am not being the Debbie-downer but it took me a long time to pull the trigger on a new gun. I posed the same questions on this board, as well as others.

My buddy is a collision guy by day and hot rod/custom work at his shop at night. He is a Sata guy and has a shelf full of Sata guns, maybe one for each thing going thru the gun, or at least it looks like that many.

He sprayed with my FLG-5 and said it was really comparable to his best Sata guns but at the end of the day if I were chasing what a Sata gun would do, then I should buy a Sata gun.

I get that thought process.

I had settled on the FLG-4 as everything I read and watched said it was more than enough gun for me. Then I stumbled upon the FLG-5 and it had even better reviews and was $40 cheaper. The only hindsight issue I have is the FLG-4 had a multiple tip package. Looking back that may be worth more than the $40 I saved.

Again, great thread, and great site. I have learned much just reading the older posts.

Scott