TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: New here and need some Flake advice.

Default New here and need some Flake advice.

I am doing a fiberglass dash and door panels for my project car. I am almost ready to paint, what I'm looking for is a high gloss black finish with orange flake. I want it to look black until sun or light hits it and then the orange sparkles. My question is do I mix my flake in with my black or my clear coat? Any advise is appreciated thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

what you will want is a orange pearl midcoat over the black.

flakes are meant to be covering the whole substrate. dont "pepper" flake it never looks good

Quote Originally Posted by Jrowe0831 View Post
    I am doing a fiberglass dash and door panels for my project car. I am almost ready to paint, what I'm looking for is a high gloss black finish with orange flake. I want it to look black until sun or light hits it and then the orange sparkles. My question is do I mix my flake in with my black or my clear coat? Any advise is appreciated thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
    I've never heard of ghost flake which it sounds like what you are looking for. I agree with PainterDave. There is color shifting metal flake but it's along the lines of PPG's Harlequin or Chameleon color shifting pearls.

I think the only way you're going to get the custom paint effect you're looking for is with an orange ghost pearl mid coat. You are going to have to do a bunch of spray out test panels to get the effect you're looking for. It's hard to get the exact effect you want because not enough pearl means you won't even see it and too much pearl will change the color of the base coat. It will take you a minimum of 5 spray out test panels with differing amounts of pearl mid coat in each test panel. That means not only how much pearl you add to the clear mid coat (like PainterDave said PPG DBC-500 is a good midcoat clear) but you will also have to keep track of how many coats of the pearl mid coat you spray on each test panel. Use a good gun, a crappy gun will make the pearl mid coat look blotchy. Keep good written records of much pearl in the mid coat and how many coats sprayed for each test panel so you can replicate that procedure later to give you the effect you're looking for.

For those wondering -- the PPG DBC-500 mid coat is chemically the same as any regular base coat but without the color tints or optional metallics.

Phil nailed it, do as he says. let us know how it works out

When Phil and PD say to take notes - that is an understatement.

Write down EVERYTHING on the test panels - they take a while. Write down the primer/sealer color/ BC color, # of coats of everything, relative amount of pearl/flake/candies added to amount of intercoat etc etc.

I like to tape off my test panels in sections, then add lines of tape next to each other using either 3/4" or 1" wide tape.

I shoot my whatever I am testing, then pull a couple of lines of tape off each section. Then after the flash time, I lay another coat down, rinse lather repeat. When I am done, I clear the whole panel. Now I can take the panel out in the sun and I have the different amount of coats right next to each other. And I write with sharpies a lot of time right on top what candy or pearl color they are.

This way I can take the test panel out in the sun and mark off which ones have the effect or color that I am going for. Then when I am in the shop shooting under artificial lights, I can hold it up and compare - it lets me adjust from there.

Hope that makes sense.

Why do I do it this way? From screwing up and having to sand it all off and start over. Turns out Root Beer Brown Candy is NOT supposed to be black!

Post photos!