TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Workin in the hood.

Default Workin in the hood.

Well, on the hood really. So I just spent a few hours stripping this thing and wow, it is in great shape for a 50 year old hood. Only one little ding where the nose was punched in. Naturally the 70's body shop just smashed bondo in and reformed the nose that way. Bondo, it fixes everything.

IMG_1735.jpg

Here is the nose dimple.
    IMG_1736.jpg

I do have one question too, looking on this next photo, you can see where the "adhesive" has split from the bracing on back to the hood panel itself.
    IMG_1737.jpg
    What product should I use for this operation? Seam sealer, or panel adhesive, or some of that expanding foam stuff?
    I am using 3m 200ml products since I found a gun to hold it.

For pulling out dents a stud welder is the best tool and for sealing up gaps and holes you can't beat the Fusor 800 series products.

maybe that picture is too close to or not close enough. The holes all stay for emblems and trim. That photo is on the under side of the hood. The little black booger of stuff looks like hard black seam sealer from 1967 that I assume stabilize the hood skin by a flex connection of the black stuff between the inner structure and the hood skin.

I do have a stud welder and puller for that nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    maybe that picture is too close to or not close enough. The holes all stay for emblems and trim. That photo is on the under side of the hood. The little black booger of stuff looks like hard black seam sealer from 1967 that I assume stabilize the hood skin by a flex connection of the black stuff between the inner structure and the hood skin.

I do have a stud welder and puller for that nose.
    That Fusor sealer is great at stabilizing the hood between the frame and the outer skin. It bonds well with the surfaces and remains like hard rubber so it doesn't age and crack and doesn't cause distortion in the hood skin as the temperature changes and it's paintable.