TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small burn through clear

Quote Originally Posted by JMTC View Post
    I bought a new finish line gun and I am going to base coat the rear quarter then re clear whole tub this weekend. How many coats clear should I put on? 3?

Jim
    Jim,

If you think that you are going to be wet sanding your clear again, I'd put on three coats at least.

I've had good results with both the Coatings Stores products and the Tamco Euro Clear HC-2104. I think that it was around $165/gallon including the activator.

With the mail order stuff, you just have to buy enough ahead of time. Since I am still in the Sand Off more than I Keep rookie mode, I purchase it by the gallon.

For adding clear coating over existing dried clears, I usually wet sand to 1000, then use a gel scuffing paste to clean, then clean water, then solvent prep, then water based prep. But like I said, I am still in the rookie section of this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatBald View Post
    Jim,

If you think that you are going to be wet sanding your clear again, I'd put on three coats at least.

I've had good results with both the Coatings Stores products and the Tamco Euro Clear HC-2104. I think that it was around $165/gallon including the activator.

With the mail order stuff, you just have to buy enough ahead of time. Since I am still in the Sand Off more than I Keep rookie mode, I purchase it by the gallon.

For adding clear coating over existing dried clears, I usually wet sand to 1000, then use a gel scuffing paste to clean, then clean water, then solvent prep, then water based prep. But like I said, I am still in the rookie section of this hobby.
    I spent the time and blocked this thing super strait and I want to see that at the end, so yes I will be taking out the peel and there will be plenty i'm sure.
    I am used to painting my backhoe's and dump truck etc so I am very novice at it. So I think 3 coats it is.
    At the moment the existing paint has been compounded and polished obviously scrub it before i start any sanding. The only products I know of is wax/grease remover and wipe and wash. I will check and see if I can get that other material locally.
    Thanks for the input
    Jim

Jim,

i'd hardly call you a rookie. the stuff you do is really amazing.
    b marler

Jim,

Well I hand blocked the whole car down with 600 dry,. re-based and I am waiting to put on my third coat of clear as I sit here and type. The new gun works a lot better than that $60 dollar one they sold me saying "they do all their clears with that gun" ugh, live and learn. anyway all is good thanks for the help everyone.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JMTC View Post
    Well I hand blocked the whole car down with 600 dry,. re-based and I am waiting to put on my third coat of clear as I sit here and type. The new gun works a lot better than that $60 dollar one they sold me saying "they do all their clears with that gun" ugh, live and learn. anyway all is good thanks for the help everyone.
    Jim
    I'm wet sanding the roof of car with p1000 wet and so far noticed a single deep fish eye, If I mixed up a few drops of clear and dabbed a tiny bit in the hole you think it would blend in so I could sand it smooth tomorrow, 24 hr window ends a 930 tonight.
    Thankscamaro2.jpgcamaro1.jpg
    Last edited by JMTC; 01-06-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Yes, scuff into the low spot then apply a drop of clear then allow it to harden and block it smooth with some 2500 grit wet sandpaper and polish it. If it's on a horizontal surface you should be able to do it with one drop but if it's on a vertical surface you may need to block it then repeat the process to get it level.

Default Looks Good!

Jim,

The Camaro looks great from here! What color is that?

Default It is...

Jim,

Blue!

Henry

Jim,

Thanks, 1978 Gm paint code 22