TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: High Build Primer - Gun cleaning

Default High Build Primer - Gun cleaning

Hi am new to the forum and I'm glad I found it !

I am ready to shoot High Build Primer. But am wondering about the time/window I have to clean the gun? I have read 3 coats is the best for full coverage. Can I just wait until the High Build flashes off for the next coat then mix/strain then continue spraying? Or do I strip the gun down completly between the next application. Or can I clean the cup , and run lacquer through the gun until it comes out clear?

I have watched Lens video on how to strip and clean the spray gun. My concern is the High Build Primer cloging up and runing my gun. Between applications.

Thanks,
    Doug

what high build are we talking about? if its poly, like slick sand you must strip and clean immediately. 2k urethane is more forgiving, depending on what you use.
    b marler

I have some featherfil G2 and I think it says it has a 30 minute pot life and I can respray the second coat in 5-10 minutes flash time. So can I mix it up, spray one coat, grab a coke and then spray the second coat before cleanup?

At least the Omni epoxy has a 8 hour pot life so I can grab dinner and still have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    I have some featherfil G2 and I think it says it has a 30 minute pot life and I can respray the second coat in 5-10 minutes flash time. So can I mix it up, spray one coat, grab a coke and then spray the second coat before cleanup?
    possibly. but if you push it you'll be sorry. the pot life starts as soon as you start mixing, and if the ambient temps are high, that can speed things up. if it were me, i'd only mix for one coat and clean in between coats. maybe others will have different opinions, but that's how i do poly primer.
    b marler

Default Why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    possibly. but if you push it you'll be sorry. the pot life starts as soon as you start mixing, and if the ambient temps are high, that can speed things up. if it were me, i'd only mix for one coat and clean in between coats. maybe others will have different opinions, but that's how i do poly primer.
    I spray G2FF and clean my gun out every time after shooting a coat. Every time except once as I (thought I) had plenty of time.

Almost lost the gun - luckily I was able to save it and it was a $50 TCP Global gun. I now use an Air Gunza and Im not going to risk that happening again.

It just doesn't take that much to clean the gun in between coats anyways.

PainterDave Guest

i use a air gunsa 3.0 i do not clean the gun between coats.

but like said above if is hot it may set up on you.

we spray a lot of poly. at 70 degrees you will be safe between coats. summer time id be more careful.

poly.jpg

Ok, I'm not spraying the whole car, just a couple fenders once I finish metal work and filler. I reckon I will have time between coats ok there, but yeah, if I were spraying the body I'm sure I would need a full cleaning between coats.

Thanks again guys, you sure are helpful for the little things that can explode into big problems if not planned for.