TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Question on order of things (epoxy filler debate) considering my workspace

Default Question on order of things (epoxy filler debate) considering my workspace

Hey guys, Ive been reading and talking with friends in regards to the order of things once I'm finished all the welding on my 240z. My work space is in my garage, it is enclosed and has a rollup door but there's no weather strip on it. Its not a "breezy" space but it is cold yet generally a couple degrees warmer than outside. I'm in rainy Vancouver so it is damp in general.

This is where I'm stuck, do I prep the car and epoxy the whole thing then pick away at filler work, keeping in mind my body work phase is gunna take time so it wont be a one week special. I'm thinking months of doing it when I have time. Or do I scratch up the areas to work filler on and then roll with it. cars been stripped to bare metal for about a month or so in some areas and I have yet to see any real flash rust or anything, still shiny.

I think I'm really just looking for a final push in one direction or another rather than constantly reading 50/50 reviews on either process. I also consider that IF I epoxy the car and do fill, when sanding ill probably remove some epoxy and maybe even show raw steel at that point do I need to recoat that small area?

I hate this haha

thanks for any clarification on my undecided situation!

Quote Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
    Hey guys, Ive been reading and talking with friends in regards to the order of things once I'm finished all the welding on my 240z. My work space is in my garage, it is enclosed and has a rollup door but there's no weather strip on it. Its not a "breezy" space but it is cold yet generally a couple degrees warmer than outside. I'm in rainy Vancouver so it is damp in general.

This is where I'm stuck, do I prep the car and epoxy the whole thing then pick away at filler work, keeping in mind my body work phase is gunna take time so it wont be a one week special. I'm thinking months of doing it when I have time. Or do I scratch up the areas to work filler on and then roll with it. cars been stripped to bare metal for about a month or so in some areas and I have yet to see any real flash rust or anything, still shiny.

I think I'm really just looking for a final push in one direction or another rather than constantly reading 50/50 reviews on either process. I also consider that IF I epoxy the car and do fill, when sanding ill probably remove some epoxy and maybe even show raw steel at that point do I need to recoat that small area?

I hate this haha

thanks for any clarification on my undecided situation!
    I would prime all of the bare metal then attack the bodywork one spot at a time and re-prime the worked spots as each spot is finished.

totally agree with len on that. i'm in your general vicinity so we have the same weather. if you have bare metal i highly recommend getting some epoxy on it sooner than later. you might not see any flash rust yet, but you will if you wait too long. be sure to re-scuff and clean it well before priming in case there's flash rust too small to see.
    i have a similar time frame for my projects, sometimes they sit for months between sessions. so opening up the whole car is not a good option, but attacking small areas at a time keeps everything manageable.
    b marler

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    totally agree with len on that. i'm in your general vicinity so we have the same weather. if you have bare metal i highly recommend getting some epoxy on it sooner than later. you might not see any flash rust yet, but you will if you wait too long. be sure to re-scuff and clean it well before priming in case there's flash rust too small to see.
    i have a similar time frame for my projects, sometimes they sit for months between sessions. so opening up the whole car is not a good option, but attacking small areas at a time keeps everything manageable.

I agree, though I don't have anywhere near the experience of these other pro guys, I have done a LOT of sanding. Don't get scared of sanding epoxy, it's not that bad when fully cured.

A little more sanding some epoxy is going to be better than getting a bunch of surface rust.

Thanks for the responses guys, I have noticed a couple spots where there a bit of surface rust is there, I can dust it away but I think after xmas I will sand down the whole works and clean/degrease then epoxy it. Ill feel better knowing its sealed...

That being said, If I leave part of my quarter panel not sprayed, Is epoxy very good at blending into itself? Id feather the edge that goes to bare metal before spraying the next section obviously but Im just curuious your opinions onr a couple different "spray sessions". I think it would be like this spray whole car except drivers quarter and tail light area, work those spots then finish the spray.

Epoxy is fairly thin so other than scuffing, it should blend fine. Plus you will be adding body filler, high build, urethane primer and maybe even a sealer before you get to finish.

Also most epoxies have a re-spray window where you don't even need to scuff the surface, just wipe it down and spray. I've seen 24 hour window up to 7 day window to respray epoxy and it will be just fine. Just check your tech sheet of the epoxy.