TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Rage Gold, 5 years old

Default Rage Gold, 5 years old

I have a half gallon of rage gold that is rather old (5 years). I open the can, it's about half full, stir it up real well and it looks and feels good to me. No chunks, no crusty things, nice and smooth.

I tried using the original blue cream hardener after some kneading, but it came up with little blue crystals in the mix.

IMG_0424.jpg

Then I tried mixing some up with a new tube of hardener. It seems to have worked well to me, no crystals in the mix.
    However, Evercoat says after that long the filler may lose the ability to harden.
    Well, I mixed some up and it hardens.

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Am I begging for problems using this old can of filler? I'm rather on the broke side, so tossing a $50 can of gold hurts.

If I have to buy a new can, is the evercoat Lite any good? It is half the price of the gold and since I'm not trying to beat the clock on production, I just want something I can use without going broke.

I would toss the old hardener but the filler is probably ok as long as it hardens properly.

I agree with Len. Buy a new tube of hardener. I would absolutely use the filler with a new tube of hardener and have no worries of short term or long term problems.

When filler does go bad it gets chunky. Starts out like chunky peanut butter. I've had that happen a few times. My experience is if it's not chunky then it's still good.

I got the new hardener and it is working just fine. Really lays out nice and sands well.