TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What should I do with this surface rust?

Default What should I do with this surface rust?

Hi everyone, My name is Matt and I have a 68 Camaro. Long story short a shop had the car for paint and ended up basically just stripping the car and not completing the work. I had to go and take it back and it has sat like this since. Over the years it has developed some surface rust and I would like to know if this is something I can simply sand again and clear up or do I need to strip the car back to bare metal removing the bodywork. If there is something I can do to save the bodywork I would love that but I want to be sure before I move head. Thank you all for your help! Pics are includedCamaro 1.jpgCamaro 2.jpg

If the rust can be removed using sandpaper you're lucky. Sand it with some 80 0r 120 grit then apply some etch primer then a filler primer then guide coat before block sanding and painting.

If the rust is pitted I'd recommend that you sand it to remove all the rust you can then use a converter like Picklex 20 (spray it on, work it in with a scuff pad then wipe it off) then use an epoxy primer and filler primer.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If the rust can be removed using sandpaper you're lucky. Sand it with some 80 0r 120 grit then apply some etch primer then a filler primer then guide coat before block sanding and painting.

If the rust is pitted I'd recommend that you sand it to remove all the rust you can then use a converter like Picklex 20 (spray it on, work it in with a scuff pad then wipe it off) then use an epoxy primer and filler primer.
    do you know by chance if I would have to remove the body filler currently there or would that be good? Also if the filler stays is it safe to use the Picklex or do I need to stay clear of the filler?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiOs View Post
    do you know by chance if I would have to remove the body filler currently there or would that be good? Also if the filler stays is it safe to use the Picklex or do I need to stay clear of the filler?
    The Picklex comes in a spray bottle and is sprayed on the metal and it doesn't matter if a little gets on the filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The Picklex comes in a spray bottle and is sprayed on the metal and it doesn't matter if a little gets on the filler.

Thank you very much for the help!

Not sure where the body filler is BUT i would bet there is rust under the filler so remove it and start over with bare metal.

Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    Not sure where the body filler is BUT i would bet there is rust under the filler so remove it and start over with bare metal.
    totally agree with that. i had some filler on the car i'm working on currently that had primer covering it. this filler was put on maybe 15 years ago and looked fine, but the primer was porous and allows moisture through it. when i ground it back to check it, there was some rusting underneath. this car had been indoors the whole time too.(unheated garage) i ground all the old filler off and found many spots with rust under the filler. i guess the take away would be, don't trust anything you haven't seen with your own two eyes.
    b marler