TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Everglass short strand question

Default Everglass short strand question

My car is inside my heated machine shop. I did a little spot repair on my fender nose to see how it looks and it is pretty close. I need to do some more shaping and probably more adding too.

My question is, how long can that bare everglass sit on the bare metal? If you apply, then sand it, how long until there is a problem in having it open to air?
    Day, week, months...? What is a good temporary cover? Or should I just pull on my big boy panties and epoxy the darn thing?

I did rough up the metal with 24 grit so it had a good sharp bite to hold on to.

My concerns are that any oils in the air from the CNC machines might land on it and absorb in, even tho it says waterproof, I can't imagine an oil film helping. It isn't like I have a standing oil mist around, but stuff atomizes so....
    IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

Humidity can have an effect on the metal but it won't hurt the fiberglass filler. If it's going to sit in a dry place I'd probably just cover it with plastic and let it sit and when you're ready to resume work just scuff it with some 80 to 180 grit paper then continue. I'd recommend that you switch to a good polyester body filler to finish the job, it will be easier to get perfect than the Everglass.

Yes, I just wanted to use the everglass on the edges / front nose to make sure it was good and solid. I have some rage gold in the cabinet I believe, once that is gone, probably an evercoat product.

Thanks Len

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    Yes, I just wanted to use the everglass on the edges / front nose to make sure it was good and solid. I have some rage gold in the cabinet I believe, once that is gone, probably an evercoat product.

Thanks Len

Jon
    Rage is a good Evercoat product. Evercoat makes several good fillers.

Being an amateur at this stuff, I probably should get some less expensive stuff since I'm bound to put too much on and then sand too much off.

I don't want to actually paint this car myself due to lack of talent and scared of iso's. I do however want to try the body work as I am (think) capable and get it all smoothed out and sealed up in epoxy.

What filler would be a good choice ? What about their Lite Weight or Z Grip in the standard line, or the gold in their intermediate line?