TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What do I do on back side of fender?

Default What do I do on back side of fender?

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

This is the inside of my drivers fender. It isn't terrible, but it has some surface rust on it and around the support panels that are welded on to make the fender assy.

It doesn't seem bad enough to need blasting, but what would you guys do on this? Its' a 67 skylark if it matters, gonna be a cruiser not a daily driver.

Can I just scuff it all down real well, clean, picklex20 and spray it down with epoxy primer to seal it all up?

I would rather not pay the $50 each to have some guy blast them if it isn't really gaining me anything.

Thanks for the ideas.
    Jon

IMG_0398.jpg
    This is a larger overall view of the back side of fender.

IMG_0399.jpg

This is the only undercoating that needs to be removed so no issue getting to it.

We would wire brush it to remove any loose rust then spray it with Picklex, work it in with a scuff pad, wipe off the excess and allow it to dry then apply several medium coats of Zero Rust.

hmmm, well that is easier by far. What about the undercoating that is on the lower area? I'm assuming remove it, ZR and then I can re-shutz the inside if I want to give it a little rock deflecting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    hmmm, well that is easier by far. What about the undercoating that is on the lower area? I'm assuming remove it, ZR and then I can re-shutz the inside if I want to give it a little rock deflecting ability.
    That's right, we use a wire wheel to remove undercoating then we coat it with ZR before spraying on more undercoating.

Default More concerned...

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post

IMG_0395.jpg

This is the inside of my drivers fender. It isn't terrible, but it has some surface rust on it and around the support panels that are welded on to make the fender assy.

It doesn't seem bad enough to need blasting, but what would you guys do on this? Its' a 67 skylark if it matters, gonna be a cruiser not a daily driver.

Can I just scuff it all down real well, clean, picklex20 and spray it down with epoxy primer to seal it all up?

I would rather not pay the $50 each to have some guy blast them if it isn't really gaining me anything.

Thanks for the ideas.
    Jon
    You'll feel better and it will look better if you do refinish the areas of rust on the inner fenders. But after all these years, if it ain't rotted through it most likely will not.

However, in the picture I left, look at the brace that runs top to bottom on the door side of the fender. It is common for water (dampness) & debris to trap between these to metals mainly at the BOTTOM of the fender and lead to rot.

Would be good if you can clean your fender out in those areas and see what you get. Check also for drain holes at the bottom although the area does have an opening.

Keep posting as we'd like to see the work as you progress on this car. Should look good done or even on the way.

Henry