TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: trailer axle protection

Default trailer axle protection

Rust belt is rough on trailers.... the 3500 lb axles on my trailer rusted so bad they failed. I bought new axles, and have some new paint on them. But want to protect them from chips that will cause them to rust again.

I was thinking spraying bedliner. Is that a good choice, or a traditional undercoating. I'd rather put something on it that I can topcoat with FluidFilm. I've noticed that fluid film will lift the factory undercoating on my 2000 dodge, so thinking that bedliner might be the way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    Rust belt is rough on trailers.... the 3500 lb axles on my trailer rusted so bad they failed. I bought new axles, and have some new paint on them. But want to protect them from chips that will cause them to rust again.

I was thinking spraying bedliner. Is that a good choice, or a traditional undercoating. I'd rather put something on it that I can topcoat with FluidFilm. I've noticed that fluid film will lift the factory undercoating on my 2000 dodge, so thinking that bedliner might be the way to go.
    Yes, bed liner will help stop the stone chips but I'd spray the metal with a couple coats of something like Zero Rust prior to the application of the bed liner.

Thanks for the input Len.

Unfortunately I am out of the painting weather (no place to do it but outside). I sanded the manufacturers paint (pretty poor coverage), and used a roller to apply some rustoleum oil based enamel. Next step was to grab a can of bedliner and spray the areas where the old axles were getting hammered. Install the axles, wait a couple weeks, and then coat the underside of the trailer with fluid film for the winter.

that's some ugly rust damage right there. looks like a boat trailer that's dipped in salt water and never rinsed off afterwards.
    the rustoleum paint should work equally well as zero rust. i use them both and they're great products.
    b marler

Its a car trailer... I think the road prep around here is worse than a salt water bath.