TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your thoughts on frame rail damage

Thanks for the advice guys. Im taking this to a family friend that does auto work on the side tomorrow, to see if it will pull out. I have priced most of the replacement parts off of rockauto.com for around $1200 shipped(including freight). So i think all in all i should be able to get this fully repaired for around $1600. The only thing im actually worried about is painting. I have watched some guys tutorials on youtube and found a website that sells kits for repainting cars with the whole color match thing. I did see on rockauto.com they had a frame rail replacement piece as well but no pictures. Do you happen to have a link to the one you found on ebay?

"2010-2013 Mazda 3 Fender Rail Extension Left Genuine OEM New BBY4-50-07YA" but that isn't the only one. It's just the one I found fast. Type that into the eBay search box. Better yet just type it into the Google search box. I just did that and many pages of sites selling it came up.

Bob K

Even if you replace that damaged section of frame rail it still needs to be pulled out on a frame machine first before you cut off the damaged section.

Philv is 100 % right...

this thing needs to be pulled or just scraped..

please explain why you think it needs pulled anyway. the extension looks like it did it's job by folding up and absorbing the impact. do you think there's more damage further down the line? seems pretty hard to tell from the pictures.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    please explain why you think it needs pulled anyway. the extension looks like it did it's job by folding up and absorbing the impact. do you think there's more damage further down the line? seems pretty hard to tell from the pictures.
    All experienced professional bodymen will tell you that if you plan on replacing a damaged frame rail it NEEDS to be pulled on a frame rack before any cutting on that damaged area is done. That would include unibody fender aprons, radiator supports etc .

It's also important to go just past the visually damaged area and do cross measurements and general measurements to make sure there is no further damage. In a lot of cases when it looks like damage is localized the damage can go further than what the eye can discern. Careful measurements are critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    All experienced professional bodymen will tell you that if you plan on replacing a damaged frame rail it NEEDS to be pulled on a frame rack before any cutting on that damaged area is done. That would include unibody fender aprons, radiator supports etc .

It's also important to go just past the visually damaged area and do cross measurements and general measurements to make sure there is no further damage. In a lot of cases when it looks like damage is localized the damage can go further than what the eye can discern. Careful measurements are critical.
    sounds logical. maybe if the op gets it on a frame machine he can report back and let us know how it went. i've not done any collision work on modern vehicles so it's interesting to see the construction.
    b marler