TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Your thoughts on frame rail damage

Hybrid View

Default Your thoughts on frame rail damage

Hello,

Recently in an accident. Have some frame damage to the driver side frame rail. Buckled/crunched a bit.

Wondering if:
    1. Is this fixable?
    2. Does it NEED to be fixed?(Is it small enough to leave as is?)

Thanks in advance!

20181115_122906.jpg
    20181115_122910.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Hello,

Recently in an accident. Have some frame damage to the driver side frame rail. Buckled/crunched a bit.

Wondering if:
    1. Is this fixable?
    2. Does it NEED to be fixed?(Is it small enough to leave as is?)

Thanks in advance!

20181115_122906.jpg
    20181115_122910.jpg
    You're going to have a hard time lining up the core support/Radiator support (which everything else in the front bolts up to.

What is the year, make and model of the vehicle we're talking about here ?

2010 Mazda 3 Sedan

More pictures from outside. I don't believe there is any other frame damage. Car still drives normally. Wheels still are same distance from wheel well on both sides. Radiator isn't smashed, impact was on the corner only.
    Will probably have to replace:
    Hood
    Hood Hinges
    Bumper
    Bumper Steel Support Beam(Might be a problem because of damage)
    Grill
    Fog Lamp Covers
    Headlamp Assembly
    Possibly both fenders

Still wondering if this is safe to drive? Do i need to try and get it pulled out?(I guess this will kind of depend if hood and bumper support line up?

20181115_122836.jpg
    20181115_122949.jpg
    20181115_104900.jpg

Anything can be repaired properly, it's just a matter of having the right tools and skills to do the job properly. On that job I'd recommend having a professional shop do the work. Get an estimate from a couple of auto body shops in your area in order to see what they say about how they would go about fixing it.

Do you have experience in doing auto body repairs?

Negative, just regular car mechanical work. Part of me was hoping i could leave the damage as is and go about my day replacing the parts. But I assume what will end up happening if i just try replacing the parts, is the hood isn't going to align correctly because of the buckled frame rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryk View Post
    Negative, just regular car mechanical work. Part of me was hoping i could leave the damage as is and go about my day replacing the parts. But I assume what will end up happening if i just try replacing the parts, is the hood isn't going to align correctly because of the buckled frame rail.
    Another option is to remove all of the bolt-on parts to expose the underlying damage then tow it to a shop to get an estimate on the straightening then tow it home and replace the parts.