TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Am I on right track? start to finish

Default Am I on right track? start to finish

please let me know if i am on the right track. I worked at a body shop 40 years ago and things have changed. I am painting a daily driver Toyota land cruiser that has OEM paint from 1997. It is NOT a base clear coat. I think it is likely urethane

1) the body is super straight with 4 or 5 small dings/dents and no rust.

I was planning on taking the dents to bare metal and then spraying with epoxy primer. completing the body filler repairs and then top coating with urethane surfacer to fill the sand scratches.

2) both bumpers are in rattle can lacquer.

I am sanding most of it off and coating with epoxy primer?

3) Should i prime the entire car?

The paint is in pretty good shape and i was hoping to sand it down with 400 and get away with not priming the entire vehicle. However i have mixed feeling about this and i am considering spraying it with a sand able epoxy primer - should i use urekem or spi? i am being told spi might sand easier

or i found two epoxy primers called 5 star 5425 or advantage 325 that sound nearly identical to the HOK kd3001 (hybrid primer than you can fill, sand and seal based on mix ratios) that are 1/2 the price.

4) spray house of kolor base and clear (i bought a $650 kit for $100 on craiglsist. sand with 1000,1500, 2000 and buff

I AM A BETTER SOFTWARE DEVELOPER THAN PAINTER!

Sounds good Brian, no need to prime over the old paint unless you sand to the metal. Just be sure to scuff and clean the surface well before spraying.
    Last edited by Len; 11-09-2018 at 07:10 AM.

Default Don't...

Sounds like you used Dupli Color on the bumper covers. Regardless, if they are lacquer, don't put urethane clear over them as they will peel like cheap wrapping on a present.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Sounds like you used Dupli Color on the bumper covers. Regardless, if they are lacquer, don't put urethane clear over them as they will peel like cheap wrapping on a present.

Henry
    what would you suggest? should i wipe them with thinner or maybe just wet sand the lacquer off?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Sounds good Brian, no need to prime over the old paint unless you sand to the metal. Just be sure to scuff and clean the surface well before spraying.

thank you - hopefully i will come up to speed soon!

Quote Originally Posted by iTechnology View Post
    what would you suggest? should i wipe them with thinner or maybe just wet sand the lacquer off?
    i'd strip the bumper covers of that coating. you'll be thankful in the end. you may want to consider using a non sanding sealer before the paint to help get everything the same color before painting. i always do this over old paint if i'm not priming.
    b marler